Is the old age pension still payable at 66? I remember there was some talk about extending it to 67?

robert 200

is the old age pension still payable at 66 ? I remember there was some talk about extending it to 67 +

No such thing as the "old age pension". It's now the State Retirement Pension .

It's actually called the State Pension, and will either be contributory or non-contributory.

There was a Retirement pension, paid at 65, which was discontinued some years ago.

At the moment there's a supplementary payment made for a year from the age of 65 to the age of 66.

It should be noted, that changes in the State Contributory pension, are likely to happen, pending the review currently underway for the last year or so. The change to the increase in age elegibility, was really just paused, pending the review recomendations outcome.

The change to the increase in age elegibility, was really just paused, pending the review recomendations outcome.
No, they actually changed the legislation so that it wouldn't go to 67 in 2021 and 68 in 2028. See here:

Section 17 repeals the increase in the State pension age. The programme for Government commits that the planned increase in the State pension age next year will be deferred. It will remain at 66 years pending the report of the Commission on Pensions. The Commission on Pensions has been established and will report by June 2021. In the meantime, the Bill provides that the State pension age will remain at 66 years and not increase to 67 years on 1 January 2021 or 68 years in 2028. This will allow the Commission on Pensions to consider State pensions policy issues fully and make recommendations for the future unfettered. Section 18 provides for the Short Title to the Bill and its construction and collective citation with the Social Welfare Acts.

I have no insight on what the review will recommend. My guess is that 66 will be preserved as the "main" pension age. The trade-off could be more credits needed for the full pension, provisions to allow for delayed drawdown, etc.

The Law was changed, and it can be changed again, post review.
it had to be changed, as there were time sensitive impacts on pensioners, pending the review, many commentators conclude the pension age will increase above 66, hence, why i used the word “paused”, the SF money tree, like almost everything they say, is an utter myth, but a myth which gets them votes, populism pays off, but only in the short term, most other political groups deal with the economic reality, and the only way a 66 state contributory pension will continue, is if the tax base is significantly broadened, which i doubt will happen.

But for those more interested in what they want to hear, rather than, what they need to hear, check out SF economic policy - aka “Magic Wand” economics, such as what Mary Lou said when asked how the state could afford to pay the state pension at 65 - “ the demographics will look after themselves”.

Last edited:
Back