Is Syria next?

P

piggy

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3705783.stm

Seeing as the Iraq conflict is turning out to be even worse than most people (myself included) expected...is Syria next?

I personally think probably not...at least not until after an election (if Bush wins). But with these guys who knows!

While I support the ousting of Saddam, going into Syria would be a big mistake. I don't think they would do it. Not much oil for a start. The whole area is lawless and dangerous from street level to government level.
I'm just waiting to see what will happen when the USA allows Isreal use Iraq airspace for its jets to refuel while on a bombing run to Iran's nuclear power stations.
Boy start storing your oil now.

"Not much oil for a start"

Their output may be on the decline...but they have enough of it.
[broken link removed]

Care to expand on why you think they should be next True Blue?

Syria is:

1. A rogue nation supporting terrorist groups like Hamas which is the major obstacle of peace between Israel and Palestine
2. Syria has WMD and they more or less admitted that themselves
3. The Syrian Authorities are constantly engaged in threats and bullying in the Mid East. That way the whole area stays unstable which benefits the Syrian powers to be.
4. The Syrians probably helped Sadam to cover up his WMDs. Allowing these weapons over their border.
5. Syria is an illegal occupier of Lebanon and has play a part in systematically wiping out Lebanese Christians (Where are the BBC, The UN, Amnesty International now?)
Syria is allowing terrorist to set up bases within its’ borders. These terrorists are massacring innocent Iraqis.

TB

"Syria has WMD and they more or less admitted that themselves"

Show me proof. Or should we have the same debacle we had with Iraqi WMD?

"The Syrian Authorities are constantly engaged in threats and bullying in the Mid East. That way the whole area stays unstable which benefits the Syrian powers to be."

Care to be more specific?

"The Syrians probably helped Sadam to cover up his WMDs. Allowing these weapons over their border."

:lol So the fact that some people reckon they might have done the above is good enough reason to invade their country and kill thousands of innocent people?

"Syria is an illegal occupier of Lebanon and has play a part in systematically wiping out Lebanese Christians (Where are the BBC, The UN, Amnesty International now?)"

So then Israel should be next yeah?

"Syria is allowing terrorist to set up bases within its’ borders. These terrorists are massacring innocent Iraqis."

Care to provide us with some proof or are you happy enough to just throw around wild accusations?

Could True Blue be Donald Rumsfield ?

Could True Blue be Donald Rumsfield ?

since getting his knuckles rapped over the abuse of prisoners maybe he has more time to log on to askaboutmoney

er

TB do you not think pre-emptive attacks on countries based largely onfabricated evidence of WMD and terrorist involvement is perhaps the wrong approach to solving international problems?

Also half of the point you use to justify an attack on Syria would work just as well to justify wiping out Israel off the planet.

Re: er

America:

1. Supports the war criminal Bush
2. America has WMD, and are one of the few countries to have actually used them. We know this for a fact.
3. The American Administration are constantly engaged in threats and bullying in the Mid East. They are currently occupying Iraq.
4. The Americans probably gave Saddam his WMD. (Any of which remaining would now be inert)
5. America is an illegal occupier of Iraq and has play a part in systematically wiping out Innocent Iraqis and Afghans (Where are the BBC, The UN, Amnesty International now?)

America has set up a concentration camp where innocent people are being held, without trial, and undergo sensorary deprevation and other abuses.

Oh, and now we know that American troops have been torturing people.

AP

Re: er

Maybe we all need to invade America then by True Blue's logic?

Re

America:

1. Supports the war criminal Bush
When was Bush charged by the Geneva Convention as a war criminal? Sorry totally subjective rubbish there.

2. America has WMD, and is one of the few countries to have actually used them. We know this for a fact.
Yes,very true , the yanks have used WMD , sorry but can you tell me when?. I JUST HAVE DIFFICULTY TAKING SOMEONES WORDS WITHOUT THE FACTS.

3. The American Administration are constantly engaged in threats and bullying in the Mid East.
Are you Steaknife in disguise , come on , the mid east needs a whippin to put those barbarians in line.But………….

Sorry they have liberated Iraq from the evil scumbag that was Saddam and have now put in place the occasion for democratic elections.

4. The Americans probably gave Saddam his WMD. (Any of which remaining would now be inert)

Probably, smobably either they did or they did not, lets not presume, maybe they give the receipt for Mc Donalds' Big Mac’ toos.

5. America is an illegal occupier of Iraq and has play a part in systematically wiping out Innocent Iraqis and Afghans (Where are the BBC, The UN, Amnesty International now?).

Where is your senses more like, it’s not an occupation you idiot it’s a liberation, hence the elections, do you read the news or just form subjective views. Are yo one of this people that woud have rathered not to hear about the regime in suitre and pretened that everything was not as bad a big bad USA told us , please.

America has set up a concentration camp where innocent people are being held, without trial, and undergo sensorary deprevation and other abuses.

Not so, it is a detention centre for terrorists, maybe you would not have the above ill-informed you view if the terrorists had effected your life directly.They are being questioned as part of the prevention system that is in place.

Oh, and now we know that American troops have been torturing people.

Yeah they have the US the SS in disguise, it is not as if Iraqi soldiers and the militants have been angels, you know they hung bodies from a bridge after been dragged around the street, oh and not before they burnt the torso’s then put them on public display and we have the mass graves and ad hoc carnage against the Kurds.
But the poor owl I raqis they have had there butt on TV I see the comparision , this crime must stop

Re: Re

2. America has WMD, and is one of the few countries to have actually used them. We know this for a fact.
Yes,very true , the yanks have used WMD , sorry but can you tell me when?. I JUST HAVE DIFFICULTY TAKING SOMEONES WORDS WITHOUT THE FACTS.

Zinger, perhaps you're not too clear on your history.
Hiroshima
Nagasaki
Vietnam (perhaps you've heard of napalm and agent orange?)
What would you call the weapons/bombs they used in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Sorry they have liberated Iraq from the evil scumbag that was Saddam and have now put in place the occasion for democratic elections.

I've argued this so many times it seems not worth my while arguing it any more. If you really think the war had anything to do with liberation then that's your business. If you choose to ignore the way in which it was done and the catastrophic effects it has had and will have on world peace then that's your business too.

Where is your senses more like, it’s not an occupation you idiot it’s a liberation, hence the elections, do you read the news or just form subjective views. Are yo one of this people that woud have rathered not to hear about the regime in suitre and pretened that everything was not as bad a big bad USA told us , please

It is widely regarded as an occupation in Iraq and in many other Middle Eastern countries. Many nations are laughing at the up coming handover as a sham. Perhaps you don't watch the news.
It is also widely regarded as an occupation in many Western countries too.

Not so, it is a detention centre for terrorists, maybe you would not have the above ill-informed you view if the terrorists had effected your life directly.They are being questioned as part of the prevention system that is in place.

Perhaps you're unaware of the freed Britains who spent over two years there, without legal aid. They were NOT charged with anything. They were NOT terrorists. Many of them came forward with similar torture stories as we have been hearing in Iraq, which included sexual humiliation!!!
Perhaps you think it's okay to detain men in such a cruel and barbourous way. So long as the US tells us they're "terrorists" then anything goes!!

Yeah they have the US the SS in disguise, it is not as if Iraqi soldiers and the militants have been angels, you know they hung bodies from a bridge after been dragged around the street, oh and not before they burnt the torso’s then put them on public display and we have the mass graves and ad hoc carnage against the Kurds.
But the poor owl I raqis they have had there butt on TV I see the comparision , this crime must stop

Perhaps you think that one sort of violence justifies the other zinger? Remember, the US were (according to you) supposed to be the liberators from oppression here. Perhaps you can't see the profound impact of Americans torturing Iraqi prisoners? Maybe that's just lost on you?

zing ah

Quote:
Hiroshima
Nagasaki

Ans:

Oh I am very clear on history buddy, I remember Saddam gassing the Kurds, women and kids alike and I remember Saddam using Mustard against the Iranians and I remember the boys from the AUM using Sarin.
But WW2 was a calculated decision made by the President, it halted the war within days, saved the lives of thousands of Americans, and if you read your history books most probably saved the lives of thousands of Japanese would have suffered under the old Emperors rule. Unfortunately for every tyrannical regime and its leader there is always a vote of sympathy from the anti American lobbyists.

Quote:
I've argued this so many times it seems not worth my while arguing it any more. If you really think the war had anything to do with liberation then that's your business. If you choose to ignore the way in which it was done and the catastrophic effects it has had and will have on world peace then that's your business too.

Ans:
Sorry but I prefer to use the word debate as oppose to arguing, I have seen your points and I can say that it would be hard to substantiate you theories unless you have first hand information.
By the way try putting you statement “If you really think the war had anything to do with liberation then that's your business. If you choose to ignore the way in which it was done and the catastrophic effects it has had and will have on world peace then that's your business too.” into the context of 9/11 in relation to the attack and the declaration of war from the Muslims, I think you will then find that you are very wrong.

Quote:
It is widely regarded as an occupation in Iraq and in many other Middle Eastern countries. Many nations are laughing at the up coming handover as a sham. Perhaps you don't watch the news.

Ans:
“Widely regarded” , are you stating that the elections will be rigged, puppet government? I do not know what news you listen to, Spin FM maybe, the dictatorship has gone, elections will be up and running and democracy will rule.
Take a look at post war Japan for a good model on how successful the states have been with their reconstruction plans.

Quote:
Perhaps you're unaware of the freed Britain’s who spent over two years there, without legal aid. They were NOT charged with anything. They were NOT terrorists. Many of them came forward with similar torture stories as we have been hearing in Iraq, which included sexual humiliation!!!
Perhaps you think it's okay to detain men in such a cruel and barbarous way. So long as the US tells us they're "terrorists" then anything goes!!

Ans:
OK point accepted, but the justice system is not infallible we have seen so many times (Guilford Four).

Quote:
Perhaps you think that one sort of violence justifies the other zinger? Remember, the US were (according to you) supposed to be the liberators from oppression here. Perhaps you can't see the profound impact of Americans torturing Iraqi prisoners? Maybe that's just lost on you?

Ans:
I remember the stories about the SS officers who did not make their escape in WW2 , they suffered also , and rightly too.
I prefer to sight the profound impact that 9/11 had on some of us and the real truths about Saddam, have you read his son’s impersonators story, probably not by your lack of substantiation, as far as I am concerned it took a tough nut like Saddam to keep these barbarians into a semi civilised structured nation , however they could not go on like that with WMD capability, it would be like giving a shotgun to a kid.
But I will not defend the actions of a few, every line of work has its bad apples and we have to accept that, remember these pictures where published and the matter is being dealt with, unlike the mass graves in Iraq, we will never know.

When the states went to Iraq the first time they should have got Saddam then , ten years later and after countless atrocities on his own people they are now free.

:eek

Re: zing ah

Quote:
Hiroshima
Nagasaki

Ans:

Oh I am very clear on history buddy, I remember Saddam gassing the Kurds, women and kids alike and I remember Saddam using Mustard against the Iranians and I remember the boys from the AUM using Sarin.
But WW2 was a calculated decision made by the President, it halted the war within days, saved the lives of thousands of Americans, and if you read your history books most probably saved the lives of thousands of Japanese would have suffered under the old Emperors rule. Unfortunately for every tyrannical regime and its leader there is always a vote of sympathy from the anti American lobbyists.

I believe the question you posed was when did America ever use WMD. I just gave you some examples. If you want to go off on a tangent about why they used them fine...but at least admit you were wrong when you said they'd never used them.

If you want to argue about Saddam's use of WMD (which was wrong - obviously) then the first thing you should be asking yourself is where did he get them from. The second thing you should ask yourself is what the International community thought about him using them against the Iranians during the Iran Iraq war.

...into the context of 9/11 in relation to the attack and the declaration of war from the Muslims, I think you will then find that you are very wrong.

Do you understand the root causes of terrorism. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think that attack took place in the first place?
Incidentally zinger...it wasn't the 'Muslims' as you put it who declared war on anybody. I'm sure any Muslim who heard you say that would be offended.

Quote:

Ans:
“Widely regarded” , are you stating that the elections will be rigged, puppet government? I do not know what news you listen to, Spin FM maybe, the dictatorship has gone, elections will be up and running and democracy will rule.
Take a look at post war Japan for a good model on how successful the states have been with their reconstruction plans.

:\ Mnay Arab commentators and Western ones too do not believe the handover will make any difference. PS...there's a great big gaping subtle difference between the handover and the elections (which are expected sometime next january!

I prefer to sight the profound impact that 9/11 had on some of us and the real truths about Saddam

Interesting.
911 was a horrible act. I agree. Does it have more meaning for you than the tens of thousands of innocents that the US have bombed to bits over the years?
No...because those attrocities happened to other people.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't feel deeply for the victims of 911.

Let's imagine for a moment that that wedding party in Iraq was indeed a wedding party and that all those people (including young children) were killed by the Americans. Was it a mistake? Maybe. How would you feel if you were an Iraqi? I know how I'd feel.
Perhaps if you put yourself in these people's shoes for a moment you'd understand the resentment felt towards the US.

Terrorism is always born of something. Ask yourself why Al Queda are as important today as they are.

The calculus of war

911 was a horrible act. I agree. Does it have more meaning for you than the tens of thousands of innocents that the US have bombed to bits over the years?
I have also read Vincent Browne on this illogical comparison.

Consider WWII, I think most of us agree that the good guys won, but have a look at these for the numbers killed:

Germany 6Million
Japan 2Million
UK 300,000
US 100,000.

Germany and Japan were the aggressor but boy did they pay for their aggression - and righly so.

So it is with terrorism - it is unfortunately necessary to kill far more people than the terrorists themselves have killed to make the world as safe as possible from their madness - not to take such action would be to give them a free hand.

Re: The calculus of war

So it is with terrorism - it is unfortunately necessary to kill far more people than the terrorists themselves have killed to make the world as safe as possible from their madness - not to take such action would be to give them a free hand.

I don't know where to begin with this piece of flawed logic!!

Terrorists do not represent their countries (for a start).
So therefore it is not right or necessary to kill many more innocent people.

Again, you show a complete lack of understanding of terrorism, its causes and the way to make sure it never happens in the first place.

Also, given that terrorism is on the increase rather than decrease perhaps you might just be wrong in thinking that you can fight fire with fire.

Re: The calculus of war

Germany 6Million Japan 2Million UK 300,000 US 100,000

You've conveniently failed to mention the number of Russian deaths.

Back