Is Revenue very slow in responding these days?

Brian O'Brien

I have a couple of queries in with Revenue. A bog standard balancing statement I completed online is now about 3 weeks being processed...sent a enquiry through myenquiries a week ago asking about the delay but no response.

Also put in a query for a friend (middle of January) because their wife didn't use up all their credits. We got a reply saying they couldn't transfer the credits because they were separately assessed for the year (but the very definition of separate assessment is exactly that they can transfer unused credits and they have already claimed year of marriage relief so Revenue knows they're married). We responded 3 weeks ago and still nothing...

Yes very slow. I submitted an enquiry to claim a credit in mid January - couldn't be claimed online.
No response.

Sent chaser enquiry mid February, got back a reply in a few days to say it had been actioned and Statement of Liability would be updated etc within 5 working days.
That was 8 working days ago.

Have sent another chaser.

Luck of the draw. I asked the same question through my wife's my account and my own ROS account - I received a relatively swift reply to mine, but her reply took five weeks! Amusingly, both answers were contradictory! So we have opted for the one that we preferred!

Very slow through my enquiries. If youre willing to wait on hold in a queue for 10 mins + then phoning them is more fruitful

All Revenue staff are still working from home as they have been since March 2020 and this will continue until next month at least.

They commit to answering questions sent in by My Equeries with 20 working days or 25 working days in peak periods (whenever they are)

They commit to answering questions sent in by My Equeries with 20 working days or 25 working days in peak periods (whenever they are)
Yeah but they dont. Not even close

They are not subject to performance management plans, or an SLA,
unlike most people in the corporate world.
Working from home means they have extra opportunities to slack off.

Also put in a query for a friend (middle of January) because their wife didn't use up all their credits. We got a reply saying they couldn't transfer the credits because they were separately assessed for the year (but the very definition of separate assessment is exactly that they can transfer unused credits and they have already claimed year of marriage relief so Revenue knows they're married). We responded 3 weeks ago and still nothing...

I thought that was the very definition of joint assessment! And, curiously, the Revenue website agrees with me!

"

Allocating tax credits, reliefs and rate bands​

Joint assessment allows you to allocate (transfer between you) most of your tax credits, reliefs and [broken link removed] with your spouse or civil partner.

My uncle [PAYE] submitted a paper Form 12(S) about 4 weeks ago to Wexford. No response from Revenue to date.
Thankfully, he sent it by registered post (confirmed as delivered) so, at least, we know that it arrived.

It is comforting :)rolleyes:) to see that there seems to be a general delay as he is of that generation that worries about unfinished business transactions !

How long does it take them to process a basic tax return these days anyhow ?

I actually phoned them the other day with my query. Very straight forward waiting time 11 minutes. Problem sorted all in about 15 mins.

My uncle [PAYE] submitted a paper Form 12(S) about 4 weeks ago to Wexford. No response from Revenue to date.
Thankfully, he sent it by registered post (confirmed as delivered) so, at least, we know that it arrived.

It is comforting :)rolleyes:) to see that there seems to be a general delay as he is of that generation that worries about unfinished business transactions !

How long does it take them to process a basic tax return these days anyhow ?

Processed instantaneously if filed online, as, in most cases the entire process doesn't require any human input; but the paper forms must be delivered by the postal service (human input), opened (human input) forwarded to a scanning centre (by a human), scanned (human input) and will then join the end of the (human) processing queue.
I'd be rolling my eyes at someone still sending in a paper return almost 20 years after Revenue first introduced its fasttrack online service!

Last edited:
I submitted health expenses and also details of a pension avc online and three months later I have received no refund.

I submitted health expenses and also details of a pension avc online and three months later I have received no refund.

I wrote above that "in most cases the refund is processed without human intervention". It may be that in your case the amount of the AVC relief sought is large enough to require human intervention! Which, unfortunately, may be causing the delay.

I subitted a request via MyEnquiries on the 24th March. Just got a response today, 8 weeks later.

All Revenue staff are still working from home as they have been since March 2020 and this will continue until next month at least.
I thought the working from home thing was supposed to be more productive and efficient, the reality though seems to very different from the popular narrative. The same story with the passport office alot of them still working from home and big delays

I thought the working from home thing was supposed to be more productive and efficient, the reality though seems to very different from the popular narrative. The same story with the passport office alot of them still working from home and big delays
Indeed. Revenue staff are working from home until September (imagine!) and then “blended working” will begin - ie blended office and home working.

You can’t get a Revenue person on the phone after 1:30pm in the day.

I’m waiting for a passport for my daughter since January and trying to get through to that office on the phone only took me 6 weeks!! (though I hadn’t been aware they worked from home too).

In my opinion, this working from home policy across the board has masked a massive drop in productivity across the entire civil service, and indeed the economy. But nobody seems to care or want to do anything about it. It has now become the accepted norm, whether it’s suitable or appropriate for the business model, so any contrary view is shot down.

My father commented recently on this issue: he said that down the line, there would be some working from home related scandal or major issue that could have been avoided if employees were working in their offices rather than from home. Wait and see.

Netflix is not going to watch itself.
Companies have software to monitor remote working employees.
Stay busy by moving the mouse every 20 mins.

Back