Is retention required on old sheds?

ardman

My late father built on 6 old sheds, 2 of which are attached to the side of the main residence at home. The other 4 sheds are attached to these. The sheds are concrete with galvaized roofs. This was done back in the 1960s and 1970s.
A small porch was also built on to the front of the house at the front door.
Do you think retention would be required for this given that it's a long time ago?

Yes we will sell the house so I was wondering if retention would be required beforehand

While the enforcement period has elapsed, they are still unauthorised development. The banks have become more particular on insisting on certs of compliance in recent years and it may be a challenge to get one with unauthorised development on the site. Anyone buying with a view to extending the property would know they would need to sort that mess out first.

Are they in good condition and worth keeping as an asset to the sale or are they damp / dilapidated and potentially detracting from the appeal of the property?

They wouldn't be suitable for habitation but ok as worksheds or utility room possibly. Parts of the galvanised roofs have leaked and been repaired over the years. They are wired electrically but this would need upgrading as it's old system. They look ok from the front of the property and would probably be an asset for someone looking for worksheds.

You can have up to 25sqm of sheds without planning. You can also add a porch without planning, up to a certain size, check your local CoCo website for their requirements. If they were built Pre 63 no planning permission would be required.

I'll check CoCo for that. I'd say most of the building was done post 63. One final question. Is applying for retention, if needed, a long drawn out process in terms of cost,time and any potential refusals?

I'll check CoCo for that. I'd say most of the building was done post 63. One final question. Is applying for retention, if needed, a long drawn out process in terms of cost,time and any potential refusals?
Look up your local authority planning website, you should be able to review other applications for retention and look at the documents and drawings that they supplied.

Worth having a discussion with Estate Agent if they add any value to the price of property. You can go all the hassle but if these buildings don't add much value, it might be better to demolish. Other option is to leave 25sqm near the house and porch as they are exempt and clear out rest.

Worth having a discussion with Estate Agent if they add any value to the price of property. You can go all the hassle but if these buildings don't add much value, it might be better to demolish. Other option is to leave 25sqm near the house and porch as they are exempt and clear out rest.
Wow.

Potentially makes perfect sense if their presence detracts from the look and potential sale price. A number of small sheds with leaking roofs and wiring that needs to be replaced would be enough to put some potential buyers off, especially those with small children if they perceive them to pose a risk. Retention could be a challenge and without that you may end up with delays after the preferred bidder is unable to draw down.

On the flip side, bar the leaky galvanised roofs and dodgy electrics, they might be in reasonable condition and worth saving, we just don't know. We don't even know what size they are. Shed or workshop space was very important to me when I was last buying, but most places that had multiple small sheds of this era that I viewed I had to factor in the costs of knocking them and rebuilding something dry and fit for my purposes.

To do so on the "advice" of an auctioneer - as was recommended above - would IMHO be foolhardy.
The suggestion was to consult an auctioneer on whether they added any value as they stand. That is sensible advice as auctioneers active in an area will be familiar with what current buyers are looking for. In my experience they are slow to advise carrying out any works that won't make a significant difference.

Given the likely challenge or obtaining retention for 6 sheds and the costs that will be involved in getting a decision. If they detract from the value of the property, getting rid of them is the logical move.

The suggestion was to consult an auctioneer on whether they added any value as they stand. That is sensible advice as auctioneers active in an area will be familiar with what current buyers are looking for. In my experience they are slow to advise carrying out any works that won't make a significant difference.
Auctioneers are rarely if ever in the advice business.
Given the likely challenge or obtaining retention for 6 sheds and the costs that will be involved in getting a decision. If they detract from the value of the property, getting rid of them is the logical move.
That challenge is likely to be non-existent. Half the older homes in my neck of the woods are current or former farmhouses and almost all have sheds or outbuildings. There is a brisk trade in these properties as the older generations die off. I've never heard of even one having planning issues relating to these outbuildings. They are usually marketed as enhancing value to the core property.

Auctioneers are rarely if ever in the advice business.
Perhaps I've just dealt with better ones than you have.

That challenge is likely to be non-existent. Half the older homes in my neck of the woods are current or former farmhouses and almost all have sheds or outbuildings.
So farming exemptions apply there. I'm not far from your neck of the woods and the people I bought from had to supply a current cert of opinion on compliance before I could close the purchase.

Perhaps I've just dealt with better ones than you have.
My observation that they're not in the advice business is hardly a controversial one.
So farming exemptions apply there. I'm not far from your neck of the woods and the people I bought from had to supply a current cert of opinion on compliance before I could close the purchase.
Unless these extend to historic farming activities, no.

My observation that they're not in the advice business is hardly a controversial one.
I didn't claim it was, just that my experience of the agents I have dealt with over the years is the opposite. Sound advice was forthcoming and they universally advised against any work or changes that wouldn't add significant value.

Unless these extend to historic farming activities, no.
They do, have a read.

Merely a suggestion to consult Auctioneer. OP is selling property and an Auctioneer can give guide price with or without leaking sheds.
Based on the individual preference, plenty of people out there who want a clean property at time of buying.

Back