Is retention planning permission needed if buying equity in a house

clipper

This is a little long winded, apologies.
My parents put dormer windows in the front of their house years ago with full planning permission (can't find that documentation now). The roof was leaking so a few years ago, my mum got the roof replaced and also replaced the dormer windows with velux windows. She didn't reapply for planning permission for this and I don't know if it wouldn've been needed. There were 3 dormer windows originally and they were replaced with 3 velux in the same place (shape of roof changed back to pitch roof).
the house has now been left to myself and my sister. My sister is buying me out, given she already owns some of the house, would planning permission need to be cleared up (if it is needed at all) before the sale can complete between family members?
Thanks

"would planning permission need to be cleared up (if it is needed at all) before the sale can complete between family members?"

If she is paying you from her own funds, she can do what she likes. The problem, if it is a problem, becomes hers alone. Mind you, it will remain a problem down the line for her.

If she needs to raise a mortgage to buy you out, the solicitor, if aware of the issue, ( and they should be made aware of the issue) will be qualifying their Certificate of Title, so the bank will require that the matter is investigated and resolved.

mf

ring and arrange a meeting with the local planner. bring along existing and new planning application info + a few photos (or email/post). you may find that the planner will provide an option to resolve the issue without the need for a full planning application.

Back