Is NAMA now a dead cert?

Ancutza

Is NAMA now just going to be signed into law without any recourse on behalf of the electorate to endorse it, positively or negatively?

Some kind of democracy we have become when 75% approx. of the population are against NAMA. But then I forgot Lisbon. Time to give FF a kick in the goolies next month and hopefully they will bow out before shoving NAMA thro'.

Is NAMA now just going to be signed into law without any recourse on behalf of the electorate to endorse it, positively or negatively?

Some kind of democracy we have become when 75% approx. of the population are against NAMA. But then I forgot Lisbon. Time to give FF a kick in the goolies next month and hopefully they will bow out before shoving NAMA thro'.

Are 75% of people against NAMA? I didn't hear that stat.

You're like the school kid failing the subject to spite the teacher.
I know we probably shouldn't link Nama and Lisbon. However, maybe a No vote might be what's required to stop Nama. I'm sure the Eurocrats will realise we voted No to punish the government and stop Nama, and had nothing really to do with lisbon.

Like it or not, people will be voting No for many reasons.

I know we probably shouldn't link Nama and Lisbon. However, maybe a No vote might be what's required to stop Nama. I'm sure the Eurocrats will realise we voted No to punish the government and stop Nama, and had nothing really to do with lisbon.

Like it or not, people will be voting No for many reasons.

At the end of the day it'll be carried 60/40 because enough people will have the good sense not to cut us adrift of europe

At the end of the day it'll be carried 60/40 because enough people will have the good sense not to cut us adrift of europe
A lot of people have lot their jobs. Lots of people are in negative equity trap. There is a lot of suffering right now. All this is the fault of the government.

These are the people that will be voting.

It also doesn't look like 60/40 over on the lisbon vote thread.

Some people think that if FF are removed from power that all our problems will be solved. I think the biggest problem facing us at the moment is the lack of replacements. I have listened to many interviews from Joan Burton and Richard Bruton in recent months and I think they are both weak and spoof a lot. The sooner George Lee takes over from Bruton the better. Bruton is a decent fella but out of his depth. I would rather see IMF come in than see Joan Burton a Finance Minister. I would prefer if there was all party consensus on NAMA, Banks etc but that opportunity was lost.

I think the Kaiser is right. It will be passed and the sooner we pass Lisbon the better - we have more important things to concentrate on...

A lot of people have lot their jobs. Lots of people are in negative equity trap. There is a lot of suffering right now. All this is the fault of the government.

And exactly where are going to find new jobs outside of europe?
People are suffering, but they are not stupid (in general).

All true. And I hope you gave the government party candidates a good kicking at the last local elections. And do the same at the next general election.

But seriously, don't hijack the Lisbon vote.
And if you don't understand it all (I certainly don't) then ask questions here and read that booklet that was posted to you. Actually reading your other posts I see that you know this already, fair play

Also I'd disagree that negative equity is the fault of the government. Nobody forced anybody else to buy an overpriced home. They could have stayed renting and sat back and wait for prices to drop. And be laughed at by home owners for paying "dead money" :D
Wow, that's a topic for another thread.

Also I'd disagree that negative equity is the fault of the government. Nobody forced anybody else to buy an overpriced home. They could have stayed renting and sat back and wait for prices to drop. And be laughed at by home owners for paying "dead money" :D
Wow, that's a topic for another thread.

+1

I'm in a shed load of negative equity, but it sure wasn't the government that made me do it. And negative equity has nothing to do with NAMA or the Lisbon Treaty.

Nose spite face anyone?

And exactly where are going to find new jobs outside of europe?
People are suffering, but they are not stupid (in general).
This is just the kind of disingenuous nonsense being served up by the Yes camp; that we'll be cut adrift or be outside Europe. Nonsense. A No to Lisbon will mean that EU leaders will have to consult their people and come to the realisation that their vision for Europe has diverged from that of the people of Europe . . and the EU will continue to operate just fine under Nice, just as it has done sine 10 countries joined in May 2004.

Another plus if Lisbon is defeated is that it should bring about a general election and the people will decide who should steer us through this FF mess.

The opposition have been completely wrong footed on NAMA. Gareth Fitzgerald and Alan Dukes , who most people will agree are not Governement lackeys, are both in favour of NAMA.
People can of course blame the Government but it wasn't the Government who took out additional credit cards and overspent on holidays, houses etc. People have to either grow up and take responsibility for their actions. The financial institutions were reckless in their lending. The Opposition were roaring in the Dail for extra spending on every project they could think up.
I honestly believe that if Gilmore, Rabbitte, Kenny and Co had got in power they would have been worse as they tried to make up for lost time.

As for Lisbon the same people who are recommending a No vote are the same people who recommended a No vote to the E.E.C. back in the early 70s. Imagine how we would be if we had listened to them. They have no credibility.

The opposition have been completely wrong footed on NAMA. Gareth Fitzgerald and Alan Dukes , who most people will agree are not Governement lackeys, are both in favour of NAMA.
People can of course blame the Government but it wasn't the Government who took out additional credit cards and overspent on holidays, houses etc. People have to either grow up and take responsibility for their actions. The financial institutions were reckless in their lending. The Opposition were roaring in the Dail for extra spending on every project they could think up.
I honestly believe that if Gilmore, Rabbitte, Kenny and Co had got in power they would have been worse as they tried to make up for lost time.

As for Lisbon the same people who are recommending a No vote are the same people who recommended a No vote to the E.E.C. back in the early 70s. Imagine how we would be if we had listened to them. They have no credibility.

Great post. Completely agree. We are still in denial re the state of the economy and who was to blame.

I have listened to many interviews from Joan Burton and Richard Bruton in recent months and I think they are both weak and spoof a lot. The sooner George Lee takes over from Bruton the better. Bruton is a decent fella but out of his depth. I would rather see IMF come in than see Joan Burton a Finance Minister.QUOTE]

"Spoof" LOL!!!!! Have you listened to Frank Fahy promoting NAMA? Or listened to Mary "I think it's important to say" Coughlan or Eamonn O Cuiv, not to mention Mansergh in the last few years? Having said that I would be inclined to agreed with the IMF notion as I think FF have put us in such a hole that there isn't a politician in Ireland that can do the right thing for the country to the extent needed.

Heard Cowan on the TV last night saying how important it was to get the Lisbon vote carried. The only certain way I think that would happen (and I hope it is...) would be for him to say he would commit to a general election if Lisbon is carried rather than leave people to assume there will be an election if it is rejected.......... Come on Cowan, do the right thing for once.

Roy

Heard Cowan on the TV last night saying how important it was to get the Lisbon vote carried. The only certain way I think that would happen (and I hope it is...) would be for him to say he would commit to a general election if Lisbon is carried rather than leave people to assume there will be an election if it is rejected.......... Come on Cowan, do the right thing for once.

Yup, I'm voting no precisely in the hope of forcing a general election and scuppering NAMA before it gets through. I actually voted yes last time and would generally be in favour of the treaty but this is more important than Lisbon.

NAMA is an absolute disaster which will saddle us, our kids and their kids with huge debt for years and years to come. The only way to scupper it is to vote 'No' to Lisbon and force a general election. As the previous poster said, this is more important than Lisbon.

NAMA is an absolute disaster which will saddle us, our kids and their kids with huge debt for years and years to come. The only way to scupper it is to vote 'No' to Lisbon and force a general election. As the previous poster said, this is more important than Lisbon.
that says it all....fully agree.

No no no, do not vote for Lisbon with that approach. Lisbon is about Ireland & Europe, not national politics.

You will get your chance to vote in a national election soon enough.

Back