Is Madrid good for a weekend away

emmt

I've booked a flight to madrid for 3 nights for a friends 50th birthday (April 12 - 15)and I've heard some negative things about the city. If anyone out there has been to Madrid....is it a nice city to go to? We'd be planning to do some sightseeing in the city - city bus tour, etc and then just maybe a flamenco show, wine bars at night, that kind of thing. I'm a bit concerned now cos I want her to have a really good time and I'm hoping that Madrid was a good choice.

Madrid is a great city to visit. I am not sure what the negatives you have been told, but it could be around pickpockets. Like any other big city you need to take the usual precautions, but in general, Madrid is a safe city.
Madrid has great museums to visit, El Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen. If you friend, is interested or even not interested, the Bernabeu is worth visiting.
There are plenty of bus tours of the city, which can be easily found around the city center. Day trips to Toledo or Segovia are worth doing, but would recommend one day trip to Toledo. But you should try to do it on your own rather than go with a tour. Going with a tour is expensive.

Madrid is amazing but do watch out for pickpockets, especially on the Metro and in the touristy areas (Sol, Plaza Mayor etc).

One thing to keep in mind is that they eat at very different hours to what we're used to - the main meal of the day is in the early afternoon; the evening meal is usually lighter and much much later - it may be 8 or 9 pm before you can even find a place open for dinner.

thanks a mill guys. My other half came home from work on Fri and a colleague was telling him that it wasnt a nice city to go to so ye have eased my mind. As long as there are nice things to see and nice places to eat out, we can make our own entertainment. Wouldnt like the weekend to be a disappointment for her as she has been looking forward to it for so long and is doing my head in...in a nice way!

Just back from 3 nights in Madrid. A beautiful city. Buy 10 trip metro/bus tkt at metro at terminal 2 for €6/7? and get to city centre for 65cents +citytravel for your break. Dublin flights land at terminal 4and it is a big airport.Also one day take Madrid VIsion open top bus tour, hop on/off for a day and see the sights. Walk about too,we found it quite safe and not nearly as frenetic as it is often presented. Dine out much cheaper and venture even slightly off tourist streets for great value and atmosphere,bars and restaurants. Take half day tour to Toledo. Have a great time. I will happily return sometime.

Back