Is it worth my while buying a new car?

boris

Considering that the changes for a new car are not coming into effect until July 07, I had been planning to get a new VW Passat 1.9 TDI in the new year.

With the new regulations showing that I could save upwards of €2,700. However could the retailer just up the prices to absorb the reduction. They used to do this when the VAT rates were being reduced.

Does anyone have any views as to what could happen.:confused:

Re: Is it worth my while buying a new car??

Listening to Colm Rapple on Drivetime, he said it would be better to wait until July. Good point re your comment on the retailer just upping the prices to absorb the reduction. However with so much competition out there now i doubt if this will happen.

I think there'll be a lot of cancelled orders for January. A 1.9 TDI Octavia on the present road tax system costs €511+9.5% rise whereas if you wait until next July and buy a new one it will be in the €150 tax bracket.Its looking like quids in for Diesels at the moment.

With the new regulations showing that I could save upwards of €2,700.

A 1.9 TDI Octavia on the present road tax system costs €511+9.5% rise whereas if you wait until next July and buy a new one it will be in the €150 tax bracket

Do you mind me asking how you got to this figure....is there a saving to be made on the purchase price of the car or the tax of the car? (have to admit very little chance to review the budget).

eh, sorry....just found the VRT thread, reckon it will clarify my questions. I thought there was only a change to the road tax which would only a/c of a small change, didn't know about the VRT. May hold off on the new car for another while.

I think there'll be a lot of cancelled orders for January. A 1.9 TDI Octavia on the present road tax system costs €511+9.5% rise whereas if you wait until next July and buy a new one it will be in the €150 tax bracket.Its looking like quids in for Diesels at the moment.
I wouldn't depend on that, i'll bet they will have a way of taxing the very common 1.9tdi brigade (I too own one) soon. I cannot see the gov. taking a hit on a very popular car in Ireland. I'd guess that the gov. have something up their sleeve. (only a guess though)

I wouldn't depend on that, i'll bet they will have a way of taxing the very common 1.9tdi brigade (I too own one) soon. I cannot see the gov. taking a hit on a very popular car in Ireland. I'd guess that the gov. have something up their sleeve. (only a guess though)
]

Increase the price of diesel?

I hope that the emmission based tax isn't in addition to the road tax.

In addition to the VRT and road tax issue, wouldn't you question the financial sense of buying a car like that brand-new? Any car - unless its super rare or incredibly desirable - loses value the moment you put numberplates on it.

Could you not avoid the VRT issue altogether if you went for a low-mile 07 instead?

aircobra, i think that already happened last year .... excise rate on diesel went up to nearly match that of unleaded fuel ... who says that the Dept of Finance don't think ahead .... what they giveth, they have already taken awayth...

Back