Is it the norm to NOT do a snag prior to closing in NI?

d4denzell

Hi,

I've just been told my apartment in Belfast will be completed on June 20th, so naturally enough I have enquired when will it be possible to snag it. However, the project manager in the builder's head office has said that they do not encourage inspections prior to completion, and that instead the norm for them is to resolve any minor issues shortly after the keys have changed hands.

As you will understand, I am a little dubious about this, as I do not currently have builders at the top of my "Straightforward honest professionals" list due to previous experiences, however I do not wish to be an unreasonable pain about it either. The builder in this case is a very long established and well known name throughout Ireland for both Commercial and Residential.

Has anyone else here bought brand new property in NI and been told this? Is the idea of a snag list not the norm up there, like it is in the ROI?

Personally I would do a snag list no matter what. Even the best builders can give you the run around. I'm sure more people here will give you better advice but I would insist on doig it before if it was me in that position.

Note that the builder does not "encourage" inspections before completion and "resolve minor issues" after keys handed over! While that may be thir "policy", it's probably not the norm and you are quite right to insist on snagging before keys handed over. What happens if ther is a major issue rather than a "minor" one? You'd like to know before you accepted the keys, wouldn't you? Put your foot down and insist on inspection.

I would say to him would you buy a car without seeing it?

Back