Is it possible to do a trade part time in Ireland? If not, why not?

Re: Trades.

When you say "do" do you mean to apprentice/train or carry out business?

Re: Trades.

Hi redbhoy,
In order to do an apprenticeship you have to serve your time with a suitably qualifies tradesman in a working environment. You also have to do stints in a technical college. These are referred to as “block releases”. There will be a number of these over the 4 years that it takes to become qualifies. There will also be exams at regular intervals that must be passed in order to gain certification as a tradesman.
There is also a system of continuous assessment by your employer and/or the tradesman that you are working for. This must also be completed in order to qualify.

Within the above constrains I don’t see why you couldn’t do other work if you can find a firm or tradesman who is willing to employ you in the evenings or on shift work. You will however have to spend 39 hours plus every week working at your trade as in essence it is a work-based qualification. Shortcutting this will giver you problems in the future.

You should also note that it takes another 5 or 6 years in most trades to become completely proficient.
What trade are you thinking about as there is a world of a difference between a tiler or painter decorator and a cabinet maker or tool and die maker.

Thanks.

Just stuck in a rut and am thinking of going back to do something else but starting on an apprentice wage is almost an impossibility(kids+mortgage).
Lot of juggling around in life to achieve this so I was thinking if you could do it part-time in the evenings I could retrain and have a decent wage.
I dont suppose you'd know if theres any grant or other ways to leave your current job and go back to retrain in something else or is it a fact that you do it off your own back and work part time too?

There are grants available to go back and retrain. FAS will have more details. If you are really interested I can get details for you
There is a chronic shortage of skilled manual labour and there is no reason why a good tradesman who knows their job well can't earn 100k plus a year.
What sort of area are you looking at?
If you have other skills that may be of use to a company you could get an apprentice on a higher wage. For example if you have an IT background you could work for small firm and be their IT manager as well as this is an expensive area to out source.

Thanks Purple.

I was thinking of getting into plumbing or becoming an electrician. Although Im weary of having a job in a few years if all the construction slows down and we've loads of tradespeople but little work.
I know a small bit about computers but not enough to merit an IT manager.
Ive been working as an electronic technican for the last few years, have attended a short alarm installation course with FÁS about 3 years ago.
Id appreciate if you could find out about the grants for me.

Thanks Again.

Back