is it okay for me to cash rent supplement cheques when they are in the tenant name

buster mammy

hi
i just want to know if its okay or even legal for me to cash rent supplement cheques when they are in the tennant name, he signs the back and i cash them in the post office or sometimes put them through my bank account, everything is above board, registered with prtb, pay tax etc but sometimes if there is work to be done i tell him to keep this weeks cheque and sort it and he is happy with this as he is handy with diy and in return i keep the rent low
thanks in advance

If the cheque is being given to you for the rent, then it's the same as the tenant cashing the cheque and giving you the cash.

When you cash them in the post office, are you not asked for ID?

Thanks for getting back to me, guy in the post office knows me so does not ask for id but if i cash in a town they do, so is it okay to keep doing this as it works better for me than getting them put in my name and messing with money then back and forth for repairs as its an old house and needs something every other week

The main issue is that the post office are cashing a cheque presented by one person that is payable to someone else. Your local post office is doing this without looking for ID, and the post office that asks for ID seems to be accepting ID that doesn't match the name on the cheque.

I would suppose that the cheque your tenant receives is crossed. That means that it should not be cashed by anybody; it should be paid into a bank account.

Unless there is a restrictive crossing, it should be okay for your tenant to endorse it, and for you to lodge it in your bank account.

If my supposition about the cheques being crossed is wrong, then what you have been doing is perfectly acceptable.

I find this crossed cheque rule is rarely enforced.
I regularly cash cheques in a local shop without any issue. Likewise with third party cheques . Have never had any come back to him/me.

I did not write my last post with sufficient attention (note the time that I wrote it). In general, a crossing does not make a cheque non-negotiable. That means that it is quite in order to use it to pay for goods in a shop - or to pay rent. The crossing affects how banks deal with cheques. The banker will require that it be lodged.

Back