Is it legal to offer an enticement for a tentant to move out early?

sam h

We are strongly considering selling an investment property & as our tenants have been there for over 3 years they will need the best part of 3 months notice.

Ideally, I would prefer to get it on the market this side of the summer as I reckon it is always better to sell in spring/summer rather than autumn/winter.

Is it legal for me to offer them something like a months rent back if they are gone in a month, half a months rent if gone in 2 months & nothing if they see out the full termination notice?

I just don't want to do it & find out it is seen as hassling or coercing them. I reckon it should be OK, but any other views

I cannot see anything illegal in giving the tenant money to leave. If they are happy with that it shouldn't be a problem.

I am assuming that they are not currently in a fixed term lease.

Therefore, under Part 4 rules you are entitled to evict the tenants on the grounds that you intend to sell the property. Your notice period is 84 days as you know.

However, from a tenant's point of view, I would not leave finding a new place to live until the last moment. Knowing that I had to move, I would start looking and once I have a property I would vacate. I doubt very much if a tenant would stay the full 84 days.

IMHO, you should just have a talk with them and agree to a shorter notice period between yourselves. A shorter notice period if agreed mutually between the parties immediately prior to or after a Notice of Termination is served, is perfectly legal. It is illegal to put a shorter notice period into any lease or other agreement.

Thus, the tenant will probably leave without the necessity of a cash incentive. However, if they were good tenants, you might like to lighten the blow of an eviction with some cash incentive for a sooner rather than later exit by the tenants.

Thanks for that.

I don't see a problem if all move out but on them I reckon might not be so straight forward, so my plan was to only offer the enticement if all are out by a certain day

Thanks

Back