is it a good idea to install DTT now?

Roundy#

Basically I'm a sky customer and initially was looking to install a quad lnb to my dish in order to have the free to air channels in a couple of additional rooms in the house........Now I'm thinking that I'll get rid of my subscription and get DTT installed ie. your RTE'S / BBC's / ITV's in digital format plus the free to air channels. Was talking to an installer and he said that RTE are still testing their digital channels and although these channels are currently available that the RTE channel digital signal is not guaranteed at the moment, however if connection is terminated, that you can simply switch back to the analogue version of RTE!

So, is it a good idea to get DTT installed......seems like a good idea to me...now having said that i don't know the installtion costs yet and a listing of what would be required. Meeting same installer next week

You can save a bundle by ditching Sky, but you'll lose the movies and foootie.

You'll get BBC, ITV, C4 etc from a FTA system.

An aerial will be needed for RTE etc. It's the same aerial whether it's DTT or analogue. So, you can't lose on that.

For the better quality of DTT (albeit not guaranteed available) you should expect to pay 50-100 euro for an external MPEG4 decoder unless your TV has one built in. I've seen one for 150, I think that's too much when you consider the UK ones cost from 50 up.

UK DTT (aka FreeView) decoders do not work here unless you're on the border & then only for UK channels.

Do bear in mind that even if you get a MPEG4 DTT tuner now, it could be rendered worthless if the new system were to use an incompatible encryption technology....so son't spend more than you can afford to lose on a decoder.

can you put an arial in an attic or does it need to be outside?
It might work in the attic if the signal is strong enough. You'd just have to try it and see.

For DTT, I just use an indoor aerial, near a window, facing generally towards where the signal is coming from.

Thanks.
I rang around a few place and asked about an aerial for rte 1/2 tv3 tg4 and some said i need 2 aerials and the last place said a broadband aerial will do all the irish channels? Is this correct....county limerick

Weve one aerial and we get rte 1+2, tv3, tng, bbc1+2,utv and c4. So one aerial should do just fine

Thanks.
I rang around a few place and asked about an aerial for rte 1/2 tv3 tg4 and some said i need 2 aerials and the last place said a broadband aerial will do all the irish channels? Is this correct....county limerick
There's no single answer. In some places and old coat hanger will do it.

It all depends one where you live, how far from a transmitter and where on the house you are able to fix an aerial. And, the DTT tests are not available everywhere.

Best thing is to ask your neighbours.

Back