Is flight itinerary cancelled if I don't use first coupon

W

witless

I'm lookng at options to travel to Florida in July. For some reason it's 200 Euros cheaper to get a BA ticket from Amsterdam via London than from London direct (or Ireland).

What if I book
AMS - London - Miami & Miami - London - AMS
and don't show up for the first and last legs??

Will they cancel the second and third legs if I don't use the first one?

Re: Is flight itinerary cancelled if I don't use first coupo

I have done something similar before, but was a little difference. Instead of flying from New Jersey to JFK, I got a Limo.
No problem checking in for the leg from JFK to Dublin.

I can not see any problem at all. You will be given seperate tickets, and just make sure you confirm the legs you want 72 hours in advance.

unused legs

This came up in the Sunday Times a few months ago. someone in England bought a ticket for destination x. It was cheaper to buy ticket with a first leg built in ie Amsterdam to London and onward to x. Person of course didnt need the first leg at all as he/she was already in London already. British Airways charged him the difference in what it was charging from London to x and from Amesterdam to x. Person brought case against BA and as far as I know won case, BA's argument was that it was a 'special incentive' to encourage other nationalites to fly with them from London, but I don't think their argument 'flew' with the arbitrator.

traveller

A few years ago dealt with company travel and was regularly warned by travel agents that depending on who was dealing with matter no shows can be cancelled/levied or god knows what else. Not worth taking the risk.

Re: traveller

Don't do it

The airline will reserve the right to cancel the remainder of your itinerary if you do not show for one segment

It's of course no problem to drop segments at the end of the ticket - but not a good idea to do it at the start as you run the realistic risk of having remaining flights cancelled

Even if the airline doesnt cancel it they'd probably be within their rights to try to charge you the higher fare that you were trying to avoid by buying the dummy departure point on the ticket.

Re: traveller

There was a bit of a loophole with these segments (is 'back segments' the industry term) whereby company buyers would forgo the initial segment, and buy (for example) New York/Dublin/New York tickets instead of Dublin/New York/Dublin to get cheaper prices. I think the airlines have some regulations to prevent this now.

Back