Is Fórsa Trade Union membership fees worth it for Public sector employees

PoundMan

I joined the Fórsa Trade Union when I moved to the Republic back in 2020. Initially I worked in the Civil Service and then I moved to a job with a Local Authority but have remained a member throughout. At the moment the membership is costing me nearly €400 per year and I'm still on the fence about the value of this. The majority of my colleagues are not members and most of them feel it is a waste of money particular as public sector workers because in the end we will all be treated the exact same regardless of membership or not. For example if future pay rises come into effect, we will all get them no matter if we are members of a trade union or not.

Nonetheless I thought maybe trade union membership might still be worth it due to some of the other perks and benefits/rewards that are usually associated with group schemes. But I have to be honest I am not really noticing perks of much significance as for example when I recently needed car insurance, I ended up getting a far better deal by just shopping around on comparison websites compared to the prices I was quoted by different group schemes. I have income protection with a forsa group scheme through cornmarket but I would imagine if I shopped around I might also find better deals elsewhere, particularly as my forsa income protection scheme with the local authority is costing 1.99% of gross salary compared to my previous civil service scheme which was only 0.99%.

I am on the fence about potentially cancelling my membership but I would be keen to hear some thoughts on the subject to see what others feel about things as perhaps the are various other factors that I haven't thought to consider.

I feel that it is a complete waste of money. They have a very cosy relationship with a few finance companies that sell products to their members. I have previously found that even though these companies state that there is a discount for being a member of the union, in reality there isn't. You will find far better value elsewhere.

If the majority of your colleagues are not in the Union I would advise you to drop out. I was a member of a Union and felt it was a waste of money but most people in the company were in it so I continued to pay.

For example if future pay rises come into effect, we will all get them no matter if we are members of a trade union or not.
Who would negotiate such pay rises on your behalf if no one was in the union?
Pay and conditions that the union work for in representing you and your colleagues should be your only consideration here.
Things like car insurance are silly frills and are not the reason for joining (or leaving) a union (although, that said, I've a feeling Income Protection is worth looking at carefully)

I remember reading this a while ago if you can access it:
Want to change the world? Join a union
It points out for example:
"If you want to make sure that the lion’s share of all the new wealth being created goes to those who are already wealthy, your best bet has been to make unions seem, as they do to so many young people, like mere vestiges of a fading past."

Who would negotiate such pay rises on your behalf if no one was in the union?
Pay and conditions that the union work for in representing you and your colleagues should be your only consideration here.

So who negotiates the generous rates of pay, allowances and other perks for the Union Head Honchoes - are they members of another elite Union?

Public service trade union officials are in my experience lazier and more entitled than their members, and by quite some margin!

They talk a lot about the benefits they've negotiated for members but when you put them under the microscope the benefits disappear when you compare it with just shopping around. For most trade unions most of the time there is just nothing to do but the subs roll in anyway. It really is a cushy number.

The one advantage of membership and activism is that you know what is going on at local level and, all else equal, knowledge is power and it can help a bit with promotion and mobility opportunities. But in return you have to sit through the most tedious and long-winded meetings with people who have failed at everything else and the union is the only place that they can feel in any way powerful.

Otherwise there is zero private benefit from the pay deal. It'll get negotiated and agreed with or without you and you'll benefit from it. There are rare examples of certain grades/unions being excluded from pay agreements for productivity reasons but these again are few and far between. So if you're not in you still win.

It can get a bit sticky if there is ever industrial action as you end up passing your colleagues on the picket line. But that might happen once in your career and is soon forgotten.

Tax relief for union membership as well was abolished in 2011 I think - a lot of people probably still think they are getting it!

I'm not a public service member any more but probably wouldn't sign up even if I was. It's simply not worth the five figures you will probably pay over the course of a career.

After 40 years of union membership, a few years as a committee member and, more recently, engagement with the WRC from the staff side, my opinion is that Forsa has become something of a chocolate teapot and I suspect other unions are the same. However, I believe that the absence of unions would have been and would be, if they disappeared, cataclysmic for public sector staff and even more so if private sector employees had no unions. Yes, you don't have to join and you will still enjoy the benefits of collective bargaining but that would be selfish- just letting others carry the can for negotiating for all. My friend once derided trade unions but both he and his wife joined or attempted to bring in a union when THEY needed something. Better in the union than out, I say even if they don't seem to offer much these days.

TL;DR Yes, Forsa is poor but better than no union!
"You never miss the water til the well runs dry"

My friend once derided trade unions but both he and his wife joined or attempted to bring in a union when THEY needed something. Better in the union than out, I say even if they don't seem to offer much these days.
The question is whether it is worth 0.8% of your salary with no tax relief. It's a lot of money!

Having seen union staff up close I would say they could easily achieve as much pulling in much lower subscriptions. Turkeys don't ever vote for Christmas and none of them will ever propose a reduction in subscriptions as they don't believe in cost cutting or efficiency of any variety.

There is a kind of Laffer Curve here as well. Membership would be much more palatable at 0.3% of salary than 0.8%. Sure unions would lose in overall revenue but long term they would pull in more membership as well.

PS: the other thing that always struck me (confirmed here on AAM) was how little useful pension advice unions were able to give despite the fact that PS pensions are very complex and members need to make very consequential choices often in the run-up to retirement. The default advice seemed to be "talk to [a specific broker]", and never anyone else. I would love to know exactly how those wheels are greased.

"The general subscription rate for 2022 is 0.8% of basic salary up to a maximum of €399.34 (monthly rate €33.28 ) i.e. a salary max of €49,918."

It seems like the subscription fees are better value to the higher salary employees so maybe it might make more financial sense to join when one has worked their way up the ranks a bit.

Considering the
After 40 years of union membership, a few years as a committee member and, more recently, engagement with the WRC from the staff side, my opinion is that Forsa has become something of a chocolate teapot and I suspect other unions are the same. However, I believe that the absence of unions would have been and would be, if they disappeared, cataclysmic for public sector staff and even more so if private sector employees had no unions. Yes, you don't have to join and you will still enjoy the benefits of collective bargaining but that would be selfish- just letting others carry the can for negotiating for all. My friend once derided trade unions but both he and his wife joined or attempted to bring in a union when THEY needed something. Better in the union than out, I say even if they don't seem to offer much these days.

TL;DR Yes, Forsa is poor but better than no union!
"You never miss the water til the well runs dry"

I'm not sure the unions have done themselves any favors by being quick to concede concessions in difficult time and slow and weak in regaining them in better times. As such new staff over recent years just don't see the value of them.

In the lockdown any concessions for keeping the wheels turning working from home or under COVID have been quickly forgotten. Without much protest from the unions.

Be interesting to see what happens to the Civil Servants they want to bring into Garda umbrella and lose their CS terms and conditions. You'd have thought this would be perfect for the union to show it's worth. Thus far barely a squeek from them.

My point being if I hadn't mentioned it, would anyone here have known about it. The article is a year old. You'd have thought it would be a big news item for the unions.

The public sector unions became very fat and lazy in the era of partnership agreements and I don’t think they’ve ever recovered to the point where they understand what it is they should stand for.

Paid union officials are largely inaccessible to ordinary members while local reps are generally performing the role under sufferance and have neither the interest nor the motivation to bang tables on anyone’s behalf. In my experience, they’re easily handled by management.

That said, the income protection rates can be attractive I’m told but if you can get as good a deal elsewhere, there’s even less reason to join a public sector union.

It's not unusual for unions to end up negotiating deals for both members and non-members, quite common in Banking for example as well where a lot of staff are not a member of the IBOA (or whatever they are called these days) as they see them as ineffective and frankly they do what the banks tell them to do. Majority of people in the private sector are not union members as frankly, they don't see the point.

The only reason I could ever see these days for being in a union is for support in a HR/Grievance/disciplanary sessions. My experience of sitting across the table from union officials is that most (not all) are practical and reasonable people and won't necessarily defend the indefensible

Last edited:
The only reason I could ever see these days for being in a union is for support in a HR/Grievance/disciplanary sessions. My experience of sitting across the table from union officials is that most (not all) are practical and reasonable people and won't necessarily defend the defencless

Perhaps you mean the indefensible?

So who negotiates the generous rates of pay, allowances and other perks for the Union Head Honchoes - are they members of another elite Union?
Yes - I believe union staff tend to be members of a union (their own or another one).
Now, you avoided my question, would you like to take a shot at it:
"Who would negotiate such pay rises on your behalf if no one was in the union?"

The only reason I could ever see these days for being in a union is for support in a HR/Grievance/disciplanary sessions.
This is a good reason. But you'll probably see this coming and can sign up with the union comfortably before there are internal proceedings or the WRC.

"Who would negotiate such pay rises on your behalf if no one was in the union?"
Politics still happens whether or not you vote, the GAA club still fields a team if you don't show up to the AGM.

Any individual can free ride from the sacrifices made by colleagues who are union members. The alternative is compulsory union membership which is a whole can of worms.

This is a good reason. But you'll probably see this coming and can sign up with the union comfortably before there are internal proceedings or the WRC.

Politics still happens whether or not you vote, the GAA club still fields a team if you don't show up to the AGM.

Any individual can free ride from the sacrifices made by colleagues who are union members. The alternative is compulsory union membership which is a whole can of worms.
Like @Groucho , you seem to have avoided the question.
You've mentioned the situation of personally not joining the union.
If there was no one in the union, the union wouldn't exist - what then?
I'd argue that staff (in public or private sector) would fare less well without an experienced negotiator on their side.

Back