Is estate agent at it with me?

sherchar

Put offer of 245k on house the other day which was accepted, sent cheque for deposit (im in scotland) so said it will take a few days to get to them. Estate Agent called today to say she had another 3 viewers lined up and cause she hasn't got deposit she would need to show them round. Turns out one has offered 245,500 - do you think she's just trying her luck with me in the hope I up my price - as she knows im really keen on this house.

Re: Is estate agent AT IT with me??

Sounds like a lot of activity in a dead market. Nothing is selling here until the stamp duty issue is clarified by the incoming government. However if they are trying to scam you adding 500 seems a bit tame to me.

Should the agent not have suspended viewings if the house went sale agreed? In this climate agents are anxious to get property off their books as quickly as possible so I am surprised they continued to try and sell it after it was sale agreed when they could have tried to shift other properties. €500 is not that tame as the OP would presumably have to up this by another €500 so an overall increase of a grand. When was your original offer accepted? Has this property been on the market for long? Have you sent the cheque? Did this new person view and put in an offer today? Sounds bit dodgy imo...

When was your original offer accepted? 2 days ago

Has this property been on the market for long? They said 2 weeks but I think 4

Have you sent the cheque? Yes sent it yesterday

Did this new person view and put in an offer today? Yes 3 supposed to have viewed today with one putting in offer - same position as us, nothing to sell and mortgage agreed

i would pull out. Wait to see if it goes sale agreed via a friend. If not go back in with your solicitor doing the bidding.

Contacted EA today asking what was going on apparently people going back for 2nd viewing on Saturday and vendors want to wait and see if they offer higher price. I told her I was not happy about waiting till after the weekend and getting messed about, if I don't get an answer by the end of today I want to withdraw my interest in the property and i'll look elsewhere. She then started to flutter a bit saying she thought the vendors would rather go with me??? She said she'd call straight back once she gets a hold of them.

My situation at the moment is: sold house in Scotland yest to be out by 2 nd Aug. Have mortgage in Ireland in place and have put bid (which was accepted of 245k) sent cheque which they have now got but had to show others around until my deposit arrived. So basically we are in a good position to get the ball moving quick. The people in this house have seperted and the man is there on his own and wants out ASAP as he's moving back to Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:
will do folks, thanks for your advice, suppose if the guy is desperate to move asap and knows we have sold now in Scotland and we are threatenng to pull out he may just say go for it after all he did agree with us and we were first to offer plus cheque for deposit is sitting in Ireland now so fingers crossed. Folk coming back for second viewing on Sat may not want it and they've lost us or maybe they may not be in same position to move as quick as us so it's a chance they take I suppose.

No harm in asking them to knock another 2000 off the price if the other people pull out. Vendors have had it their own way for too long, its a buyers market now and with all the negative press about houses at the moment he might be glad to get shot of it.

Im am raging now, just spoke to EA and she said vendors are going now with the people who have offered 245,500. She said she will now rip up the cheque I sent over for deposit but im feel done over. Im could bid 246k but I feel really let down now.

Im could bid 246k but I feel really let down now.

I wouldn't bother. Are you prepared to offer €247k when the other bidder goes to €246,500? Your offer of €245k was accepted and yet the estate agent still showed the house to 3 other potential viewers, after you advised you had posted a booking deposit. This is one of those situations where you need to walk away - with house prices levelling off and even falling in some places I think you'd be mad to engage in a bidding war.

In time you'll be grateful.

The market is now falling. Even the banks are admitting it.

If you have to rent for a while you'll ultimately do better.

Don't be tempted to get into a bidding war - it is now a buyer's market.

Let the house go, there are plenty more out there in the current climate. The EA might come grovelling back to you next week if the other buyer falls through.

I hope your auctioneer doesn't use this site - unless of course you have deliberately distorted the figures and facts above to obscure your identity.

I hope your auctioneer doesn't use this site - unless of course you have deliberately distorted the figures and facts above to obscure your identity.

What come back would the auctioneer have if the op is telling the facts exactly as they are?

I couldn't care less what the auctioneer thinks now, i've been messed about, sold my house here for a lower price to get quick sale to get this new house now ive lost the new house - im fuming

why did you let the house go? everyone saying its a "buyers market" but thats only if seller is desperate to sell. Otherwise they will hold out and get the best price. Maybe you shouldn't have listened to advice on this site and went with your own gut instinct.

No point worrying about what you should or shouldn't have done. Forget about this house and move on to your next target. You're absolutely right to walk away.

Back