Is Ballybrack safe?

Hi there

Are you looking at moving into Ballybrack or one of the surrounding areas/estates? Like Watsons Estate etc..

If so, can you give us an idea of which estates? There are some very nice places to live in that general area. But as is often the case one road might be worse then another, the same goes for within Ballybrack. (If that makes sense). There is alot of people on this site who could probably give you more targeted info, if they knew if it was Ballybrack or in one of the areas around it.

I hope that makes sense, I'm having one of those days! :)

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't know too much about the estates. The houses we've been viewing are located in a triangle between Church rd, Wyattville rd and the R118. Areas like Oakton green, Oakton Park, shanganagh rd.

I hope that clarifies the location.

Thanks a million for you help,

Jeanne

Hi there,
I live in Oakton Park, have done for 20 odd years and love it here. (From Shankill originally). All I can say is that I have never had problems living here... Oakton Park is a quiet mature estate. I've 2 girls and a son and they use the bus and Dart daily and without any problems. (including the Nitelink from town). They've lots of good pals in the area. They're are plenty of younger kids in the estate and have no probs with them.
They're have been a couple of burgalaries in the area over the years but where doesn't that happen?
I walk to Tesco several times a week and have never seen any sign of trouble (try looking around the streets of Dun Laoghaire for that!) but I think Coolevin might not be as quiet as here. I've no hesitation walking around this estate at night and we sometimes walk up along Church road to The Graduate (before the fire!).
Oakton Green is the same... it was built since I came here and it seems like a quiet road - my daughter knew a nice kid there and was often up and down to her.
I know that they're are areas off Shanganagh Road that gave the area a bad name in the past but it's never affected this side of Ballybrack.
Hope this helps?
S.

Thanks a million Sarah. It's good to know.

We're in the process of buying a house up the hill. Next to the school emergency exist. So i might see you around.

Jeanne

I've lived in the area for over thirty years and yes Ballbrack is safe. Certain parts are a bit rougher than neighbouring Killiney but it is definitely safe.

Hi there,
I live in Oakton Park, have done for 20 odd years and love it here. (From Shankill originally). All I can say is that I have never had problems living here... Oakton Park is a quiet mature estate. I've 2 girls and a son and they use the bus and Dart daily and without any problems. (including the Nitelink from town). They've lots of good pals in the area. They're are plenty of younger kids in the estate and have no probs with them.
They're have been a couple of burgalaries in the area over the years but where doesn't that happen?
I walk to Tesco several times a week and have never seen any sign of trouble (try looking around the streets of Dun Laoghaire for that!) but I think Coolevin might not be as quiet as here. I've no hesitation walking around this estate at night and we sometimes walk up along Church road to The Graduate (before the fire!).
Oakton Green is the same... it was built since I came here and it seems like a quiet road - my daughter knew a nice kid there and was often up and down to her.
I know that they're are areas off Shanganagh Road that gave the area a bad name in the past but it's never affected this side of Ballybrack.
Hope this helps?
S.

Like anywhere, it only takes one family/person to cause havoc for others in the place. The above mentioned estates would be, as the person says, the more settled, mature areas in Ballybrack. Several estates off the Shanganagh Road have a bad reputation and in some ways deserved. If you are worried and want an insight into the place, I suggest you visit the Applegreen garage and Centra stores around 9pm and you will get an insight into how some of the less 'pleasant' locals behave. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to watch your back or won't feel intimidated around the place but it has it fair share of local youths / knackers hanging around the shops and monument carrying out some sort of anti-social behaviour. As I say, visit the place one night around 9pm and it will make sense.

Hi, firstly if you are buying the house that I think you are buying, I welcome you to the area, I have lived here for nearly ten years and love the estate. Its a nice quite road and very safe. Most of the families have children and they all get on very very well. All the neighbours are lovely and very nice, we keep ourselves to ourselves but we are all there for each other if the need arises.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Back