Is AUDI suspension setup too hard for Irish roads?

landmarkjohn

Forgive the generalisation but I need to decide whether or not to include AUDI in my 5 year old low mileage car search. I could possibly narrow it down to A5 or A6 models.

I have two experiences that bring me to this question. First was my 2 nieces who commented a few years ago that my 04 Passat was "way more comfy" than their Dad's brand new A4 estate (back seat)

2nd was recently a friend of my son bought a low mileage 10 A5 on 19" alloys. My son reckons it's not all that comfortable.

Comments of experience welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
19" allows are not comfortable even when driven over a road of duvets.
Don't think you can generalise - depends on the setup of the car, tyres, state of the shocks and springs, etc.
Having said that, Audi is supposedly a "sportier" type car so might be setup a bit tighter. Nothing you can't fix though generally speaking. I'd also say that the A6 would be setup more comfortable than the A5 - given the A5 is again the "sportier" form the two.

Hope that helps...

The A4 or A6 would give a much nicer driving experience that a Passas. The Passas is a very well put together car but I find them very boring to drive.

If there is a lower profile tyre fitted to the car the drive will tend to be a bit harder on country roads too. You always have the option of putting a higher wall tyre on provided there is enough clearance in the wheel arch.i have done this with 2 previous cars and the improvement in comfort was very noticeable

I have heard of an A5 owner complaining of hard suspension.

Also, my brother in law is German and had an A6 estate, and said it was hard. He changed to a Peugeot 407 and much prefers it.

I would do some test driving if I was you.

I have an 03 Octavia, partner has an 00 A3 (both based on the same Vag Golf platform). The Audi has a much stiffer suspension.

A couple of people have mentioned to me they've switched from Audi because they found them too hard.

A lot of the motoring mags also criticise Audi for suspension thats too hard. They (Audi) seem to think hard=sporty=better grip as do many drivers. But thats only true on a smooth surface like a race track or in a country with really great roads, they usually comment that Audi's are set for German Roads. On a less than perfect road a softer setting gives more grip and performance. Theres been a move to rock hard suspension, overtyred, low profile tyres and bigger wheels in general which may make the grip and handling worse. Its more a fashion thing than performance.

Also depends on the person, some people like a firmer suspension, some don't, especially if you've a bad back or such. If theres a lot of speed ramps in the area you'll soon get tired of a hard suspension.

Back