is an internet register company necessary?

dave28

A friend created a web site to help grow their company. A number of weeks later they were contacted by an internet registering company who offered to put them on various search engines etc. They didnt read the small print ....... signed the document & sent it away.
The small print contracted them to 3 years at 1,000 euro per year.
The question is, what are the implications if the invoices etc are ignored ? (It has been argued that the person who signed the document in fact did not have the authority to do so, but this company are having none of that)

Also , at the risk of confusing the issue, I think the registration company used a sneaky practice : the original letter suggested their business as "sporting" associated and if this was not accurate ,they were to tick the box which did accurately describe their business area. Was this a marketing ploy to encourage them to submit the document ??

A friend created a web site to help grow their company. A number of weeks later they were contacted by an internet registering company who offered to put them on various search engines etc. They didnt read the small print ....... signed the document & sent it away.
The small print contracted them to 3 years at 1,000 euro per year.
The question is, what are the implications if the invoices etc are ignored ?
Breach of contract and whatever that entails presumably?
(It has been argued that the person who signed the document in fact did not have the authority to do so, but this company are having none of that)

Also , at the risk of confusing the issue, I think the registration company used a sneaky practice : the original letter suggested their business as "sporting" associated and if this was not accurate ,they were to tick the box which did accurately describe their business area. Was this a marketing ploy to encourage them to submit the document ??
Sounds like bit of a scam. Like a lot of those internet search engine registration and directory companies.

Most likely a scam

See [broken link removed]

Seems the best approach at this stage is to speak to your solicitor to see what the most appropriate way to deal with the issue.

C

Thank you Capaill - appreciate the info and link, looks like its a scam alright ......

Ive seen that letter, very dangerous as Im sure in many cases these type of things can easily get sent to accounts dept who may not question it.

I wouldnt pay a cent if i were you, let the scammers try chasing you

Why is it a scam? - they were informed how much it was going to cost from the outset, and presumably what they were going to get. It sounds outrageously expensive, but it doesn't sound like there was any trickery involved.

Back