Key Post Is a Tracker bond a good investment?

Marc

When we buy any investment I wonder how much do we really understand about the workings of the contract we are entering into?

In my experience investors are inherently risk averse. Investors are more concerned with risk than they are with reward. This sets them apart from speculators. To satisfy this demand, many investors are sold, and sadly buy, Tracker Bonds.

Tracker bonds – is the guarantee worth having?
The subject of investment risk for many people is considered a “bad” thing. Many savers therefore naturally tend to be attracted to products offering a capital guarantee. However, when we look a little closer, some of the tracker bonds on sale in Ireland today represent poor relative value to the investor. Yet consumers are not always given the necessary information to make informed decisions about tracker bonds according to the Society of Actuaries in Ireland.

One of the biggest problems is that investors are not able to assess the real charges. Due to the non-transparent nature of the products, the charges are concealed. Furthermore, investors do not consider the cost of the guarantee in their investment decisions.

The producer of the tracker will generally be taking charges of between 3% and 8% of the total amount invested in the product.

The terms of each issue vary, but will usually be for a minimum of several years and no withdrawals can be made during the term of the Bond resulting in an inflexible contract.
With tracker bonds, most of your money is actually placed in a bank deposit account and the remainder is invested in complex financial derivatives and/or options.

Dividends

Even if the return of a tracker bond is linked to a stock market index, the investor does not receive any dividends from the shares that make up the index.

Over the long term in a developed economy, dividends from equities have historically made up a significant part of the total return from a stock market investment.

A study
in the USA by Ibbotson Associates intoStock Market Returns in the Long Run”, concluded that the bulk of the long term return of the market is attributable to dividend payments and nominal earnings growth (including inflation and real earnings growth).

This suggests that the underlying share prices would have to fall significantly for the capital guarantee on a tracker bond to be worth anything at all. The loss of dividends is a very expensive price to pay for a capital guarantee.

Example Tracker Bond
I'm not picking this product out in particular, it just happens to be the one that I have in front of me right now and illustrates some of the pitfalls of investing in Tracker bonds. These pitfalls apply generally to all Tracker Bond products to a greater or lesser extent.

The disclosed charge in the brochure is 7.53% of the amount invested. This translates to an illustrated reduction in yield of 2.1%pa

However, the same page clearly points out that this is "a capital growth investment and will not benefit from any dividends"
Let's have a look at how much that might matter shall we by looking at the possible income yields on some of the underlying holdings:

I Box Euro Index - Yield 4.29% (source IBOXX Liquid Sovereigns Global 31st March 2008)
Eurostoxx 50 - Yield 3.5% (source Barclays 7/8/08)
EPRA European Property Index - Yield 3.62% (source Barclays 7/8/08)

So, you might be giving up around 3 to 4% each year in lost income on some of the holdings in the product. This is in addition to the charges! For the sake of balance, I should point out that there is no income on some of the underlying holdings (for example 25% invested is in commodities) and so overall you might expect to lose around 2 to 3% in income each year.

So in this example, I am down by around 4 to 5%pa in explicit charges and the implicit cost of lost income. Ouch!

Of course for all these charges, you have the peace of mind of a capital guarantee. 100% of your money will be returned on maturity or as the brochure points out, a guaranteed return of 0%pa CAR!
Let's assume you could obtain a net of Dirt return of 4%pa on your savings over the term of the investment, you have what is known as an "opportunity cost" of cracking on for 16% which is the interest you would have received if you had just left the money in the bank in the first place.

However, the guarantee is only there to stop you losing money. You are investing to profit from the markets right?
In this example, if the underlying investments appreciate, you will receive a cash bonus of 70% of the increase. So, for every 1% of capital appreciation on the underlying holdings, as an investor, you will in fact only receive 0.7%. Or put another way, a 30% "fee" is taken from your profits.

As I say, I'm not knocking this particular product it is simply a useful illustration of some of the issues, I'm sure there are worse examples out there........

Conclusion
They say there are two emotions that move the markets. One is fear; the other, greed. At the beginning of the cycle when the market expands, investors swing from fear to optimism to excitement to out-and-out greed. As the market peaks and contracts, investors shift from greed back to fear. Left unchecked, greed and fear can cloud rational, reasoned investment analysis and distort financial judgement.

This can leave us exposed to the risk of purchasing an investment which on the face of it meets our need for capital security, but which in reality is a relatively poor investment choice. For investors who are prepared to put in a little more effort, there are better ways of managing our conflicting desires for capital security and the best possible investment return than a standard off the shelf packaged product.

"The investor‘s chief problem - and even his worst enemy ' is likely to be himself"

Benjamin Graham, legendary American investor, scholar, teacher and co-author of the 1934 classic, Security Analysis

Marc - excellent post. Thank you.

One additional point I would make is about averaging, which applies to most tracker bonds, where the actual return on the tracked indices is averaged over the final 12 - 18 months of the tracker bond. This is usually sold as a device for your protection, but it should be clearly understood that it has a roughly equal chance of working against you (if the actual return during the averaged period is positive) as it has of working in your favour.

Re: Two common errors in critiques of TBs

Sorry, Fergie, I have to disagree. Marc has made at least two fundamental errors in the OP (I guess this thread is heading for the GFD:))

Error 1: "the bulk of the investment is on deposit". This is a very common mistake prompted by the retail provider's choice of how it hedges the product. Let's say that this is by way of an 80% deposit +15% option. The point is that an option is a highly geared equity instrument. The ultimate "wholesale" hedger will be matching this 15% option with about 50% in the market supported by 35% borrowings. In short, a typical TB starts life about 50% exposed to the market, somewhat similar to a guaranteed managed bond or a with profit bond.

Error 2: "loss of dividends is in addition to the disclosed charge" Entirely wrong. Anyone who knows the B-S formula for valuing derivatives will know that dividends are allowed for in the price. (BTW 7.25% is a horrendous charge for the genre:mad:)

I am not saying that TB's are the best thing since tinned sardines. In terms of charges, implicit or otherwise, they are usually (though not in the OP example) much less than a conventional fund, though these days it is hard to compete with straight deposits where current charges are in fact negative!:cool:

Consider this - TBs would never be able to pay 3.5% upfront commission plus 0.5% trailer, like managed bonds. Maybe that explains why TBs tend to be exclusively bank products. For TBs maturing today there is probably not much joy but at least they can be thankful that 6 years ago they didn't go to a broker asking for advice.:rolleyes:

Harchibald,

Much of what you say may be technically correct from the perspective of pricing the underlying derivatives contracts. But, you are missing my point in the original post. Which is not aimed at a detailed examination of deriviatives contract pricing, but simply to consider the practical impact of putting these into a packaged retail contract in the first place from the perspective of the end retail investor -since it is their money that is being invested here.

I'm sure we could price a better Tracker Bond if we wanted to, and I'm sure we could debate endlessly the various complex mathmatical formulas for derivatives pricing and the theory behind building a better mousetrap or in this case Tracker Bond...........but to what end? My argument is that the concept of a retail product sold in this way is flawed so why bother?

Apparently Jérôme Kerviel argued that he had not actually lost Soc Gen any money and that their loss of €4.9bn only occured because they closed his positions. It wasn't the fault of the derivatives contracts he had bought so what was the problem? Oh yes, he shouldn't have bought them in the first place! Its the way in which these products are presented that I am concerned about not the underlying derivatives contracts themselves (I think Nick Lesson could have argued the same at Barings - just before it was sold to ING for £1)

So, to answer your points:

1) Yes, technically a derivatives contract is highly geared and provides the effect of more market exposure this is how the product is supposed to work. But from a practical perspective as any brochure points out to the investor a massive amount like 81.88% will be used to secure the promised payment on maturity. This is how the capital is guaranteed. It is important that a retail investor understands this.

Equally, at the end of the term the return may be a return of capital with no interest. There is an opportunity cost in the interest foregone. A guarantee of 0% CAR is a loss in real terms. It is important that a retail investor understands this.

So, as an alternative if I am a cautious retail investor and I wish to offer some stability in my investment portfolio I should simply leave sufficient money on deposit earning interest to meet my needs and attitude to risk.

I may be so cautious that I leave 100% on deposit but at least this will all be earning me interest each and every year.

2) Again you are arguing from the perspective of derivatives pricing and not the practicalities of the situation from an investors perspective.

We are talking about participation in a capital index with no dividends. Not how the contracts are priced. The participation rate is 70% of a capital index with no dividend participation. That is the cost the investor is interested in. Not how this has been arrived at.

As an alternative, if I buy directly into a real asset (and remember that I should only be doing this if I understand that it is going to fluctuate and go down from time to time which is why I hold some money on deposit (see point 1 above)) - lets say an ETF tracking the Eurostox 50. A big part of the reason why I would even do this in the first place is to gain the dividends and in my post I point out that this is around 3.5%pa currently.

Now, as an investor I'm not interested in how my contract has been priced, I'm interested in where it leaves me.

Over 4 years if the capital index does not appreciate or falls, I get no return at all from the Tracker. Yet if I had bought the underlying investment directly I would have received 3.5%pa in dividends.

This needs to be taken into account when pricing the "value" of the capital guarantee. I.e. if I had invested directly into the Eurostox 50 over a 4 year period, assuming a constant income of 3.5%pa, the index would have to fall by 14.75% over the 4 years for the guarantee to be worth anything at all.

From the original post:
"Furthermore, investors do not consider the cost of the guarantee in their investment decisions." and "The loss of dividends is a very expensive price to pay for a capital guarantee."

Marc,

You stated categorically that the charges on a TB were the disclosed charges plus the implicit loss of dividends; that is simply not correct. Do you accept that the disclosed charges includes the implicit loss of dividends?

You seem to be arguing it both ways. On the one hand you say that only 15% or so is invested in the underlying equities and then you argue that equity dividends on 100% of the investment are being pocketed.

Derivatives and their pricing are, I agree, a bit of a distraction. What matters is how these products are ultimately hedged, i.e. what is the economic substance of the proposition and not the intermediate engineering. As I stated the ultimate hedge is about 50% invested in the underlying equities and so it is quite misleading to suggest that 85% of the investment is "lying dead" in deposits.

Let us take a very simple example. How would you fancy if I offered you a contract which pays you all the upside in BoI shares over the next year and none of the downside. Trust me, you should bite my hand off for that one. According to you, you would be losing 12% dividends in that deal, i.e. a charge of 12%. That simplistic analysis is simply erroneous.

Marc, you suggest that my arguments may be "technically" correct. A double handed compliment whose main thrust is to suggest that so far as the man/woman in the street is concerned I am speaking rubbish.

[FONT=&quot]Harchibald,

As I stressed, I'm not arguing that what you are saying about pricing is incorrect. As I see it, the thrust of your argument is in support of Tracker bonds conceptually. To an extent I would agree that, in theory, it is possible to design a Structured Product that adds value to an investment portfolio and research from Barclays Capital supports this, but the key factor is the participation rate. A good example recently has been the Japan Stockmarket where participation rates of say 120% are available from investment in the Nikkei 225. Remember the contract I was looking at had a 70% participation rate.

My concern is that understanding the participation rate is not how a retail investor typically makes an investment decision. The capital guarantee is the main deciding factor, and this leaves some investors vulnerable to purchasing a poor contract.

My argument is that many of "plain vanilla" structured products (Tracker Bonds) that are sold are not necessarily good value for investors and that there is a need to communicate this is terms that are readily understandable by a retail investor.

I could have posted that empirical research shows that while structured products entice investors with the potential of equity style returns, many structured products are packaged so that investors end up giving up most of the equity risk premium leaving the end investor with an expected return of broadly the same as a cash deposit but with less flexibility.

But I would then need to explain what the equity risk premium is. Surely it is better to try and explain a complex and opaque contract in terms that allow an investor a sporting chance of making an informed choice.

Afterall, Sir Howard Davies, former chairman of the Financial Services Authority in the UK reportedly said that he believed that "many of the retail financial products on sale in the UK were deliberately misleading". Confusion marketing it's called with some companies playing on a general lack of sophistication in financial matters, like the Lottery described as "the triumph of optimism over numeracy". For the avoidance of doubt - don't play the Lottery!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, let's try for some clarification. Most Trackers track a “capital only” index. This means that the option purchased does not include dividend income. A Tracker could acquire a “total return” index which would include dividend income. However such an option would be more expensive resulting in participation having to be reduced.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most providers concentrate on the growth potential of equities and utilise the money available to purchase participation in that growth rather than income.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The general Tracker will also usually give a return less than the markets being tracked, since irrespective of who is ultimately providing the capital guarantee, due to today’s low interest rates, having set aside sufficient capital to provide the guarantee, the remaining amount available may be insufficient to purchase 100% participation or in the case of a basket of indices or stock there maybe certain performance formula applying which makes it difficult for the Tracker to match the performance of the basket being tracked. [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]As an alternative, an investor can achieve a return, capital plus income, available from any of the major equity markets through investing in a passively managed fund which tracks the index. However passively managed funds do not provide capital protection. The likely lower performance from a Tracker represents the real cost of providing this protection.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ore intelligent products could include higher participation levels that would make the lack of dividend less of a problem, and the returns compare more favourably with those provided by many active fund managers, who typically under-perform the index in any event.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Harchibald,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]...many structured products are packaged so that investors end up giving up most of the equity risk premium leaving the end investor with an expected return of broadly the same as a cash deposit but with less flexibility.[/FONT]
Marc, I agree entirely with this statement. I have done some work simulating the potential of TBs. I use an ERP of 5% and whatever is the implied volatility in the market price for the option. If charges are around the 5% level (say for a 6 year product), I tend to get an average CAR of 4.5% i.e. same as a deposit. But of course the interest profile is quite different. A TB swops a guaranteed return at maturity for a variable one. My view is that a good TB is one with low (5% per 6 years) charges and a good skew in the payout profile e.g. 50% chance Nil return, 50% double the deposit comparative. I generally don't like caps as they flatten out this skew.

Your OP and in particular the endorsement from Fergie who commands a lot of respect (from myself included) rather irked me as it played into a common and IMHO misplaced prejudice on AAM against TBs.

You did state:
Ouch...Or put another way, a 30% "fee" is taken from your profits.
That is quite incorrect.

Equally inappropriate was to stress that 80% is put on deposit. That is misinterpreting the engineering. To see this more clearly consider a product which promised the return on XYZ shares with no guarantee. The primary hedge for this would of course be for the provider to hold 100% XYZ shares. However, it could also hold the money 100% on deposit and hedge in the derivatives market with a futures contract. If it did the latter would it be right to focus on the fact that 100% was placed on deposit? TBs are the same, it's just that retail banks are not equipped to provide the primary hedge (which would be about 50/50) and instead use the options market, but that does not alter the primary economic substance of the offering.

"many of the retail financial products on sale were deliberately misleading".
I agree. I think the vanilla offerings are the least offensive. But when we have artificial indexes which cap the return on each individual share and other weird constructions, one can be sure that the purpose is to mislead as to the potential of the product.
A good example recently has been the Japan Stockmarket where participation rates of say 120% are available from investment in the Nikkei 225.
You have to be careful with Nikkei. These are usually "quantoed" from the original Yen denominated index to a euro version. The result is that the difference between euro interest rates and yen interest rates is "lost", very similar to the "loss" of dividends you refer to. I put "loss" in "" because of course it is not really lost but is taken into consideration in determining the participation, hence a high participation on Nikkei.

Harchibald,

I thank you for the additional comments re the construction of structured products.
I'm sure you appreciate that I'm not saying that all structured products are bad. I just haven't seen a good one in Ireland yet and the latest offering to cross my desk was plainly poor value.

I also wonder how much our debate has added to the understanding of the average retail investor? If this makes people question investment products more then a job well done.

Remember the first line of my OP was:

"When we buy any investment I wonder how much do we really understand about the workings of the contract we are entering into?"

If anything, I feel that we may have reinforced the notion that these are complex contracts which are difficult to understand by the lay investor.

In my opinion this complexity makes a retail investor potentially more open to abuse from buying poor value contacts. My purpose in the original post was to raise awareness of the risks of mis-buying these contracts.

To sum up:

"Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon."
-- Peter Lynch

Back