Is a SWIRL gift card a good idea for teacher present?

Primary school teachers are underpaid in my view, they do really good work with our children, and they build quite strong relationships with them.

That is the key thing about a good teacher - there is a foundation of strong relationship with the pupils. It is personal. Otherwise it would be "just a job" - and a soul-destroying one. It is not like working in office on a file, like this facile comparison:
I'll ring the local tax office and see who has been looking after my files for the last few years and get the names of the tax-payers in the same tax district. We'll all lob a few quid into the kitty and buy a gift-card and a thank you card.

I am not a teacher by the way. I did work inthe public sector for several years, but no gifts, that I recall. I did also work in the private hospitality sector and I do recall gifts (or "tips") there, which I now realise was outrageous. I was also self employed for a while and also sometimes received tokens of appreciation. I should have reported myself to myself!

Too old-fashioned, cringe-worthy and valueless to be discarded because none of them can be thrown over the bar with the other vouchers to subsidise a "right good auld tear" during the prolonged holidays

I suspect this is what really bothers you - the tortuous thought that, instead of buying a sensible cardigan, teacher might be out there somewhere having a good time.:)

So if primary school children (or their parents) giving money to their teacher is as innocuous as some claim, then the OP will have no difficulty posting here or PM'ing me the name of the school, the class concerned and I'll contact the principal and the board of management myself. Just to get their position on the matter as these are the only views that count. No? Then you know in your heart and soul that the €100 back-hander, under-the-counter payment to the teacher is wrong.

Why has no-one answered my question about a card, a thank you card signed by all the pupils? Is it possible that's because as it has no monetary value and will be binned as thanks only have value if there's a three figure euro number attached to quantify them? €50 = thanks, €100 = thank you, €200 = thank you very much, €400 = a lads I'm grateful, etc.

What value a card and a work of art produced and signed by all the class? Why not a little poem or short essay where the children express their gratitude to the teacher about what / how s/he helped throughout the year? Too old-fashioned, cringe-worthy and valueless to be discarded because none of them can be thrown over the bar with the other vouchers to subsidise a "right good auld tear" during the prolonged holidays.

I wonder how many parents of children in that class have had their hours cut or lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 virus? How many of them would love to be still doing "tremendous job during the lock down" and not subsidising unnecessary and unappreciated luxuries for a well-paid teacher in full time employment? What family necessities might that €5 have provided? Do the teachers know? Or do they care?

I wonder how many of the supporters of this ugly demeaning practice are teachers?

I suppose it's only fair that their fellow public servants should benefit from this new tradition. I'll ring the local tax office and see who has been looking after my files for the last few years and get the names of the tax-payers in the same tax district. We'll all lob a few quid into the kitty and buy a gift-card and a thank you card.

My kids go to Our Lady of the Wayside NS in Kilternan. Brenda Carson is the Principle. The teachers get a collection in that school. But to be honest, she has far more important things to be doing like managing a school in lock down and working on how the kids are going to get back to school next year than be bothered by someone annoyed at a token given to teachers each year. Something she is well aware of as she was a teacher there for decades and received many a gift herself.

Can I also say that I am in paid employment and have received many gifts through my working lifetime. When I was 24, I looked after the retirement of a partner which involved quiet a lot of work, which he got for free. He got my home address from HR and sent me a £100 voucher. Clients have given me bottles of wine and I've gotten match tickets too as a way of thanks. I have also bought clients presents if I saw something that I know they would like and appreciate.

I find your outrage at this practice for teachers to be very surprising. It is nothing more than a token of appreciation for the hard work they do (€5 is nothing). It happens in all walks of life.

I thought it was too until I realised they were handing over cash to people in full employment. Does anyone want to be the kid who hasn't a fiver to hand over, the fiver that won't be missed and won't be mentioned by classmates ever? Do you want to be that child? Children don't bully and parents don't gossip, that of course is the other side of this appalling story.

I tip in restaurants. Do I have to hand over names and numbers to you as well?

You really need to have a look at yourself

If I check in to a hotel I often give the person who brings my bags up to my room a €2 tip for 5 minutes work. Hairdresser often between €2 and €5 per visit, similar with taxi drivers per journey. A lot of parents like to show some appreciation to teachers for their care of their children during the year. As a teacher myself, this is not something we expect or seek out. A thoughtful message on a Thank you card generally means a lot more than a cash voucher.

I wouldn’t even compare it to tipping.

This is a person who’s very important in the context of our children’s lives.

It’s a farewell gift and a thank you gift...marking the end of an era.

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and every July without fail there would be bags of donations of candles / photo frames etc which were clearly unwanted gifts given to teachers. Far better getting a voucher that is actually useful.

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and every July without fail there would be bags of donations of candles / photo frames etc which were clearly unwanted gifts given to teachers. Far better getting a voucher that is actually useful.

Get any Lynx Africa gift packs ?

You probably wouldn't take them ;)

Back