is 23 too old to go back to college?

blueshoes

maybe a bit of a dumb question but i have 2years done in college, left after my circumstances changed. I always thought I would go further with the course and that but i will be 23/24 if I went back and dont know if i'd fit in or would it be like when i was first there.

Only other option is to get a job or maybe a part time course in the evening.
I know most student are that age leaving /finishing college but its the going back after a few years that im worried about

Re: is 23 to old to go back to college?

Doesn't sound too old to me. Believe me 15 years from now the difference between 18-20 and 23/24 will seem very small to you. Depending on the degree you get your earnings potential will greatly increase. If you can go back to college and see it through then do it.

Hi there went back to collage 9 years ago - I was 25... There were guys in my clas in their 40's

I know someone who went back to college and 50 and got a masters so ur never too old if thats what you want to do.

I didn't go until i was 28 - tough 4 years but worth it 100%!!

Go for it you'll be so busy, you'll graduate before you know it. I went back at 24 for 4 years and after the initial weird feeling in the first week you will settle down to the task in hand. It is also something that has been positively commented upon in interviews because you are then seen as someone who was willing to make sacrifices to achieve your ambitions

I re-trained as a surveyor (now a sprightly 36!!). Did a primary degree in a related discipline during the 'normal years' though. It's never too late.

Go for it. A 3rd level qual is a min entry requirement for anything decent these days.

Hi Blueshoes,

My circumstances where the same as yours did two years in college and then left due to personal reasons, went travelling 2 years after that and when i came back (i was 23 then) thought i was too old for college so i've been working since then, big mistake, i've now secured my place in college for this coming september (i'm now 27) and can't wait.

My advice is go for it, i can't wait now for september and especially since i'll be studying something i've always wanted to work in, my sister also went back to college when she was 24 she's now going into her 3rd year, has loved her experience and is already planning her masters,

Good luck :)

I'd agree with what the others are saying. I did an undergrad course when i as 23-26 and a postgrad course from 28-32 - It's the best thing I ever did!
Also look at the other opportunities that arise from being a student (if your circumstances allow it). With 4 months off each summer, you can travel to the USA/Canada (J1 visa) or to other places as part of your course work and earn a few quid.

No way if anything , u're young

i think its a way different now to before where u went to college got a job and stayed there until retirement

now it is'nt a crime to realize at 35 that you dont want to keep doing what you're currently doing

What is worse going back to college now , getting to do something that u'll enjoystudying and getting a job that u'll like to get up for in the mornings and be stuck in traffic for

or else not go back , plod through the job/career you are in and wish in 10.-15 years time what if ?

what normally can happen is that marriage children mortages and then its kind of harder to go off and change your career cause it gets more awkward or you can come up with bigger excuses

Go and do it , ull feel better for it

no doubt its not going to be as easy as doing it when u're 18

Absolutely not too old to go back. There were plenty of people in their 30's in my course. Don't worry about fitting in. Meeting lots of new people is part of the experience!

I have two friends who are 30 and in the final years of their degrees after going back to university at about 27-28. While initally difficult to adjust to student life after a few years working, they are very happy that they did it.

maybe a bit of a dumb question but i have 2years done in college, left after my circumstances changed. I always thought I would go further with the course and that but i will be 23/24 if I went back and dont know if i'd fit in or would it be like when i was first there.

Only other option is to get a job or maybe a part time course in the evening.
I know most student are that age leaving /finishing college but its the going back after a few years that im worried about

If you can support yourself that's great, but you should have no bother taking a part time job and taking a course in the evening. A lot of part time courses do Saturday morning lectures, so enquire from the major colleges. Goforit!

My mam has just started back and although I won't give her age, i'm 20 so... Needless to say, 23 is definitely not too old.

No way, do it! If you enjoy the course and you know you'll enjoy the career it leads to then you'd be mad not too. It'll fly by

23 is young! If it's something you want to do then do it now. A part-time job will help ease the financial burden. Also at 23 you offically qualify as a mature student so this may be something to consider. There may be courses open to you that you may not have considered because of points etc..

If you ask me 23 is a perfect age to go as you are a mature student and possibly better entitled to grants, medical card etc.. Make sure you get all ur entitled to as it will help you get through it...

My sister is 23 and has just completed the 1st year of her 4 yr degree with first class honours, she barely passed her leaving cert a few years ago!! She did her travelling and is now able to focus on college more so than when she was 17/18 so its all good :) :) :)

A third level qualification will give you more than just a piece of paper or better job opportunities, it will give you buckets of confidence that you couldn't ever buy (even if you use the degree or not!).. Trust me I know.. So my advice is GO FOR IT and Enjoy it cos it'll be a laugh and you'll meet loads of new people. Once the first few weeks are over, you'll be grand and you'll fly through it!! GOODLUCK :) :) :) :)

I agree sounds like a perfect age. That said try not to stop completely but do it in the evenings. Much easier to do evening courses at 23 then 33!

If you are focused enough , nothing, especially age, will stand in your way. Good luck.

Back