Irish Workers Highest Paid

How about cutting vat to 0% for people on SW for essential items.
Then cut 12.5% off the SW allowance.
So then the 210 dole cheque a week now becomes 183.50
People could swipe there social card in shops or the number taken down.
It means there standard of living is not changing.
Also cuts out some SW money being spent on booze and smokes and people with there mates claiming for them while there in thailand and australia wont get the benifit either.

Totally impractical.

Can you imagine the IT infrastruate and potential for fraud this could enstail? It would also represent another disincentive for people not to get back into work.

An across the board cut of 20%, and a cap of €100 per household member on social welfare entitlements is what is needed

We have some of the highest paid politicians and judiciary in the world but we also have the highest paid teachers in the world. I’m not picking on teachers, I’m sure the same applies to other sectors, but the details are to hand in [broken link removed] report.

Well they manage on no much more in the UK.

The UK dont pay the same prices for goods and services we do and have
much lower VAT rates and a lower cost of living. They have a much more competitive markets in, Insurance, Phone providers(both landline and mobile), Electrical and heating service providers etc etc

The UK dont pay the same prices for goods and services we do and have
much lower VAT rates and a lower cost of living. They have a much more competitive markets in, Insurance, Phone providers(both landline and mobile), Electrical and heating service providers etc etc
It can just as easily be said that the cost of living in the UK is lower because they pay themselves less.

It can just as easily be said that the cost of living in the UK is lower because they pay themselves less.

This is true however we cannot expect to have the minum wage and social welfare cut and have the people who are receiving these to still have to pay the same prices for goods we are paying now. If we are to reduce the social welafare and min wage and or wages in general, VAT rates should come down as should the overpricing on pretty much everything we pay for in this country.

This reminds me of the high prices we used have in our supermarkets and all the appeals by our politicians and consumer advocates to get them to reduce their prices.
The supermarkets trotted out their P.R. people...listing all their high costs and promising they would try harder....result was prices didn`t come down.
Fast forward to our present poorer consumer and the prices are coming down...no need for appeals.
Am I correct in saying ther has been no salary cuts or reverse benchmarking implemented for our public service......surely we should start at the top.

This is true however we cannot expect to have the minum wage and social welfare cut and have the people who are receiving these to still have to pay the same prices for goods we are paying now. If we are to reduce the social welafare and min wage and or wages in general, VAT rates should come down as should the overpricing on pretty much everything we pay for in this country.
The price is set by what the market will pay for a particular good or service. If people have less to spend then the price will come down.

We have some of the highest paid politicians and judiciary in the world but we also have the highest paid teachers in the world. I’m not picking on teachers, I’m sure the same applies to other sectors, but the details are to hand in [broken link removed] report.

I'd continue by saying that we have the highest paid of most occupations in the world..........haven't we?

Medical consultant (pure public) = 240K....we are told that it's double or triple the German equivalent

Etc., etc.

Am I correct in saying ther has been no salary cuts or reverse benchmarking implemented for our public service......surely we should start at the top.

Incorrect, as all public service workers (excl. judges and comm semi-states) pay an extra tax / pension levy / pay cut.

The lads we have working for us are bloody hard workers will come in no matter what the weather is, or if they are feeling a bit under the weather, you can rely on them.

SJ I'm interested in this point, do you mean your bf prefers to hire non nationals as he has found them to be better workers than Irish people?

I also thought it was interesting in a long queue for jobs in Lidl ( or somesuch) which had mostly non nationals.

I also thought it was interesting in a long queue for jobs in Lidl ( or somesuch) which had mostly non nationals.

Why is this? I'd imagine its because social welfare rates for Irish people are just too high to encourage them to take these roles.

This is why our over-generous social welfare system creates such a huge poverty trap. Time to cut the dole to well under €100 per week, as in the UK

I don't think Irish industrial workers on 25k-40k are overpaid.

The following are overpaid:

landlords (commercial rents way too high)
bank executives
most other executives
barristers
solicitors (even though many are unemployed)
medical consultants
dentists
judges
teachers + guards (well more like underworked in terms of days)

Really?

Do you think the average 30-40K an architect actually makes [not his sales figure] after 5 years study and seven years learning the ropes is a good return for his years of training.
Does it accuratly reflect the level of design ability, contractual competence, technical ability they have or the vicarious liability and fiduciary responsibility they carry?
Or do you think people who can be sued unto their estate if they "do their jobs badly" should be paid a little extra on top of that?
Look at the ones who have carried big offices aroudn for a decade.
Looking like they're having nervous breakdowns now.
Offices gone from 210 to 10 people, some of them.

And this isn't an unusual event - the cyclical nature of the building industry means that most architects will suffer badly from an economic downturn at least twice in their careers.

And what about Barristers?
They spend several years "deviling" during which they earn very little - assuming they can get attached to a good barrister to learn the ropes in the first place.
They spend on average 10 to fifteen years post grad just learning one or two area of the law to be competent and then they "may" become senior counsel.
They get to work with some of the worst scumbags on the planet every day of the week - their clients.
When they're not giving the performance of their lives to sway the court theyre are engaged in high pressure meetings and negotiations.
They are expected to master a - usually - complex brief and develop a winning strategy for their clients whwo may have no cards to play.
A small percentage of these actually earn high fees, but all have to maintain their offices/places in the Law Library and very few earn much in the first 5-10 years.
While they cannot be sued a officers of the court for doign their job badly, they, like architects have no place to hide - the perform in the spotlight and failure brings its own reward.

That's just two professions I am familiar with.

Of course we've seen what happens when head bankers do their jobs badly - they still get their [reduced] bonuses on top of a salary of over €500,000.

And we've seen what the heads of building companies get - guarantees from the taxpayer.

And we've seen what the politicians who approve of all of this get - across all political parties - pensions while they are still in office.

Some people are definitely getting preferential treatment, but don't assume its the competent, qualified professionals.

FWIW

ONQ.

They get to work with some of the worst scumbags on the planet every day of the week - their clients.
Ah hold on there. Please don't talk like that about our property developers and venture capitalists. It might be true, but....

SJ I'm interested in this point, do you mean your bf prefers to hire non nationals as he has found them to be better workers than Irish people?

No what i meant is when they started working for us 3 years ago they were the only people that would do this work. You didn't have a hope of an irish person wanting to go out and walk around delivering leaflets all day. In the beginning he did offer the work to friends that wern't working and none of them wanted the job!!!

There is no way he would let one of these guys go now just to employ a friend or anyone else.

We have had a few non nationals work for us and they didn't even last a day let alone the week. I would say 90% of our workforce is polish. It not that he prefers them, he will give anyone a chance to earn a few quid if the work is there, but for us they have proven to be the best workers across the board.

i take it some of the above are not on unemployment benefit?

I am quite sure that there are many, many architects on unemployment benefit right now (solicitors too for that matter).

I am also quite sure that there are many barristers subsisting on an income which is a lot less than unemployment benefit - for periods of anything up to three years after qualifying ( after three years, if you are not heading toward making a living by year five, you would be unusually tenacious to stick at it.)

Really?

Do you think the average 30-40K an architect actually makes [not his sales figure] after 5 years study and seven years learning the ropes is a good return for his years of training.

And what about Barristers?
They spend several years "deviling" during which they earn very little - assuming they can get attached to a good barrister to learn the ropes in the first place.
They spend on average 10 to fifteen years post grad just learning one or two area of the law to be competent and then they "may" become senior counsel.

How much time someone spends in college should have no bearing what so ever on how much they earn. How much their skills are worth to a client or/and employer should be the sole factor in determining their income. If the time in college adds to the open market value of their skills then great but qualification and time spend in and or themselves are no reason to demand higher pay.

There are far too many solicitors in this country, that’s been obvious for years but the good news is that it will result in better value for the consumer. The same is the case with taxi drivers. I presume the same is now the case with architects and hopefully someday the same will be the case with doctors, the last of the closed professions.

Dole is way too high. People forget that it excludes accommodation costs which are paid out of rent allowance etc.

People should be able to feed and clothe themselves for way less than €210 per week.

+1

Don't forget you can also apply for Mortgage Interest / Rent supplement, the Medical Card, Smokeless Fuel Allowance, and a whole lot more bens.

This madness has to stop.

In the UK, you get £47.95 per week if aged between 16-24, and £60.50 per week if aged over 25. There is no reason why we should pay three times the level of dole payments in the UK

Isn't it only people who've worked for 2 years and recently become unemployed get over 200 per week, and its only temporary.

going from employment to below 100 would be tough for anyone. this high dole is temporary and makes complete economic sense. People who's jobs are currently at risk are not absolutely petrified to spend any money they currently get, if they were more job losses are guaranteed.

Back