Irish Workers Highest Paid

An industrial worker in the UK would consider themselves very lucky if they earned 12-15k per annum. Are Irish industrial workers overpaid by UK standards?
I thought the average private sector wage in the UK was around £23'400. The average public sector wage there is very slightly lower. However private sector wages in the UK are falling at the fastest rate since records began whereas public sector wages there are increasing.

Just want to comment onthe wages of a quality control worker in the pharma industry...the other thread closed and redirected to this thread....
Anyway the OP was wondering why someone getting 35k here is only getting 20£ inthe U.K.
Posters were saying it was because of the high costs here or the fact that our graduates are more educated etc etc
Well maybe its something to do with the employers...most are multinational companies who benefit from our low corporate tax rate....because of this huge tax savings these companies can afford to pay bigger wages.You can be sure that all the conditions are discussed with the IDA etc when these companies are setting up here.There is no point in rocking the boat here as reduced wages will only go into the pockets of shareholders in the U.S. and switzerland.

I wasn't drawing a distinction between architects and other professions.

An architects degree takes five years in Ireland and it is strongly recommended you take a year off, usually after 3rd year, to an initial gain experience of how and office is run and the duties you might face.

Some people decide to do other courses after they see just how "glamorous" the life is - LOL!

When I was qualified it was expected that you worked in an practice and learnt the ropes from senior architects for 2 years and then do a Part III exam or seven years after which you were deemed to have your part III's.

So that's a minimum of between 8 and 13 years before you could call yourself a competent architect - in theory.

ONQ.

I think the same could be said about pretty much all working professionals, whether they are scientists, engineers, sales managers or trademen. The last couple of years were a weird blip on the normal state of affairs, in a competitive marketplace it takes years to get any type of real earning power.
Once architects, solicitors, doctors etc. could claim they spent a relatively long time in education and that's why they charged high fees. But with so many people going on to do master's and post grad education these days that argument just doesn't hold water.

Professionals in certain areas are still pretty much guaranteed a high income such as the medical profession or teachers even due to their cosy arrangements with the state (once they get into the club).

There is a strong case for high pay in certain professions to help prevent corruption and fraud but it certainly should not be out of whack with what the state and individuals can afford to pay for their services. Many 'professionals' wouldn't have the skills to survive in a commercial marketplace e.g. some doctors who don't have very good social skills but high IQs and good at exam taking (of course there are many great doctors out there too...just giving an example).

I think the same could be said about pretty much all working professionals, whether they are scientists, engineers, sales managers or trademen. The last couple of years were a weird blip on the normal state of affairs, in a competitive marketplace it takes years to get any type of real earning power.
Once architects, solicitors, doctors etc. could claim they spent a relatively long time in education and that's why they charged high fees. But with so many people going on to do master's and post grad education these days that argument just doesn't hold water.

Professionals in certain areas are still pretty much guaranteed a high income such as the medical profession or teachers even due to their cosy arrangements with the state (once they get into the club).

There is a strong case for high pay in certain professions to help prevent corruption and fraud but it certainly should not be out of whack with what the state and individuals can afford to pay for their services. Many 'professionals' wouldn't have the skills to survive in a commercial marketplace e.g. some doctors who don't have very good social skills but high IQs and good at exam taking (of course there are many great doctors out there too...just giving an example).

Good post, I agree 100%

Back