Irish Times "Who would be a landlord?"

I expect SF expect to start a massive housing building programme once in Govt. I'm not sure how they will finance it though. Massive borrowing perhaps. With predictable downsides that brings.

Apart from the financing aspect, where will they get the builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, tilers, etc etc to build all these houses?

Apart from the financing aspect, where will they get the builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, tilers, etc etc to build all these houses?
Perhaps they think they will all leave the private sectors to go work in the public sector. Aren't we always being told how attractive and valuable a public sector job is?! It's handy cause with all the free houses, demand in the private sector will fall anyway. Genius!

They'll import them like they did last time.
A Gerry Adams type response. Always remember him being asked a question about plugging the holes in the national finances during a debate and Gerry replied that he'd take some 6 or 7 billion from the pension reserve fund, only to be interrupted by the chairman facilitating the debate that there was only 3 billion left in the pension reserve fund. Gerry shot him a look and repeated that he'd take 6 or 7 billion from the pension reserve fund. Perhaps he meant the magic money tree instead of the pension reserve fund!!!

No political conspiracy theories required. Just looking at the reports, and I'd heard about the apprenticeship numbers coming back.

We're only just out of the pandemic bit early for the dramatics.

That article is based on construction industry analysts workng for the construction industry - but they do not address the underlying problem of lack of trained workers

I take your point but...

...I'm not sure what you are looking for. People and firms aren't going to rock up for construction programmes not yet announced , by a Govt not yet in power. Current Govt is doing very little to stimulate housing.

Last time we had an influx of builders from all over, and they left when there was no work. Irish construction workers go all over the world, as do workers from other countries. Same happened with apprenticeships. I've worked in construction in 3 different countries before I left it.

These things take time to grow. The amount of construction over the past 5yrs in the docklands is staggering. It wasn't Harry Potter Building them.

Last edited:
There may have been a lot of building - but we still only managed 15,000 houses and 5,000 appartments in 2021 when we need to buidling 30,000-40,000 a year

I don't know what last year has got to do with a hypothetical future govt.

The conversation "who would be landlords" has to be forward looking. Otherwise it would be framed in the past tense.

The proposition that we will build 40,000 homes a year in the near future is pie in the sky thinking, at least for another 3 or 4 years, no matter who is in government.

Forcing or pressuring private landlords to sell, as SF are doing by threatening them with draconian measures to be passed in a couple of years, does absolutely nothing to solve the housing crisis - not one single extra home is provided when a private landlord evicts a tenant and sells to an owner-occupier.

But it makes for great public noise which is the name of the game

not one single extra home is provided when a private landlord evicts a tenant and sells to an owner-occupier.
actually occupancy is reduced when it moves to owner occupier. So it makes problem worse.

Also every mom and pop LL I know who has sold in the last few years has been to the council or a REIT. So its fine to attack the Lad paying 50% tax. What will SF do to attack the REITS?

actually occupancy is reduced when it moves to owner occupier. So it makes problem worse.

Also every mom and pop LL I know who has sold in the last few years has been to the council or a REIT. So its fine to attack the Lad paying 50% tax. What will SF do to attack the REITS?
By the time it's in SF's hands to act, it'll only be REITS left, so they had better tread carefully.

They'll be far too busy arranging their United-Ireland referendum to bother about trivia like housing or homelessness.

Furthermore, they'll probably spend the first couple of years criticising the last government for the problems that they have inherited. It's Politics 101!

Back