Irish Rail adverts make me laugh!

redstar

'Are you taking the car tomorrow ?', they ask. 'Ever consider using the train ?' they ask.

Well, yes, as it happens I do consider using the train but i'm 25km from the nearest station, so how do they expect people who want to use the train to do so if they won't provide the infrastructure ?

The Navan rail link would be great for me but this is scheduled to arrive in 2015 (no, not a quarter past eight) !!
I doubt if it will happen at all though, as Iris rail seem reluctant to want to open new lines, just upgrade existing ones.

Re: Iris Rail adverts make me laugh !!

I wish they'd stop trying to get more people to use the train. It's overcrowded enough as it is!

Re: Iris Rail adverts make me laugh !!

I wish they'd stop trying to get more people to use the train. It's overcrowded enough as it is!

Good point! I only use the train once a week - the 16:38 from Tara Street to Maynooth - and let's just say I know exactly how a sardine feels! I really do feel for those who use that train all the time.

This ad drives me mad. Last Tuesday I sat in the car for no less than 1 hour and 40 mins to get from Skerries to DCU. The next day the same journey took less than a third of that time.

The Tuesday previously I didn't even make it in despite leaving at 7.15am for a 9am class.

I would dearly love to take the train as I could do something more productive with my time than just edging forward on our gridlocked beyond belief motorways in first and second gear. Where do I get on??

This ad drives me mad. Last Tuesday I sat in the car for no less than 1 hour and 40 mins to get from Skerries to DCU. The next day the same journey took less than a third of that time.

The Tuesday previously I didn't even make it in despite leaving at 7.15am for a 9am class.

I would dearly love to take the train as I could do something more productive with my time than just edging forward on our gridlocked beyond belief motorways in first and second gear. Where do I get on??

The solution is to leave at 6.45 and enjoy an hour of leasure time before class.

Or you could get the 07.20 from Skerries arriving in Connolly at 07.55, stroll up to O'Connell Street (or get the Luas) and hop on an 11 or a 19A.

I don't have to take the train anymore thanks be the jaysus but my local train station is now charging for parking so people may as well take the car. I gave up my job in dublin and found a job down the country which forced me to buy a car instead of sticking with the trains. And it is BLISS!

my local train station is now charging for parking

aye, there's the rub. Mrs SC tried this as well (nearest station 20 miles) but they charge for parking and the town has disc parking on-street. In the end it was cheaper to drive. Iris(h) Rail have nowt to say about that.

The solution is to leave at 6.45 and enjoy an hour of leasure time before class.

God help me, it might come to that yet. Am not a morning person though and getting up to leave at 6.45am would be nigh the middle of the night for me. But yes, it may be the only solution.

The other suggestion of using the train unfortunately is not really a runner as I have a class until 6pm that same day, so would then have to spend time getting to town and standing on a packed train all the way home. I couldn't do it! But it was certainly an idea. I suppose the point I was making was that it would be lovely to have a train or a tram servicing my uni directly or nearby so that I could avail of it. It must be an irritating ad for those who have no choice but to sit in traffic. Mind you, when I do use Irish Rail, I'm cursing them anyway for lateness and slowness. And if it's not them I'm cursing, it's the crappy line into Dublin which is overused by three different services... ie. Commuter, DART and Belfast line. Sometimes I feel I could run faster than that so-called Express!

Back