Irish Passport Renewal

Passport1

How long in advance of Passport expiring should you apply for a new passport - 1 month, 2 month, 3 months or does it matter or do you get an automatic notification that passport is going to expire and you need to renew it ?
Thanks

These days the sooner the better because people are experiencing so many different problems. IMHO getting a notification makes no difference as it would not foresee any problems that you may encounter. Doing the application on-line does appear to be the quicker option.

Passport application delays

I usually go for somewhere between 9-12 months, but I do a fair bit of non EU international travel. (And being Irish resident but non Irish EU citizen, passport takes 8 weeks to renew in any case via Embassy).

3 months or does it matter or do you get an automatic notification that passport is going to expire and you need to renew it ?
At the moment I would leave at least three months.

If there are issues with verification of documents then you may have to re-submit.

Child renewals seems to get more scrutiny (and more risk of re-submission) than adult renewals.

Most renewals are going through really quickly a couple of days at most, it's the new passports (for children or new citizens that are taking time and that's mostly down to user error. Added to the Summer deluge of applications where people somehow forgot they would need a passport and are all applying at the last minute I'd wait until a month/ 6 weeks before expiry especially if it's not due for renewal until late in the year.

My childs renewal took two weeks and was painless. As mentioned above, it seems to be new passports that are causing the issues. Wonder how much of it is down to Brexit and people from the UK looking for Irish passports on top of the domestic demand. I would imagine those applications are pretty time consuming to make sure people are entitled to one.

Wonder how much of it is down to Brexit and people from the UK looking for Irish passports on top of the domestic demand.
The much bigger issue is that lots of people didn't travel for two years and let their passports expire.

People didn't look for first-time passports for newborns either, and these are the ones that require the most scrutiny.

I'm old enough to have been a mere line on my father's passport - simpler times!

If for an adult, I'd give it at least 3 months before you need it. For a child, I'd give it 6 months. If it expires at a time when you won't be needing it, just let it expire.

The much bigger issue is that lots of people didn't travel for two years and let their passports expire.

People didn't look for first-time passports for newborns either, and these are the ones that require the most scrutiny.

I'm old enough to have been a mere line on my father's passport - simpler times!

Well apparently for the first time in history, more Irish passports than UK passports are being issued in the North. I think were was something like 20k Irish passports issued in Northern Ireland in the first two months of the year. That doesn't even include the number on the UK mainland who are doing the same....

But as you say, would imagine it is the number of new borns that are suddenly looking for first passports that is the issue.

Anyway no rush. Apply just before you head to airport and you should have it by the time you get to the check in desk.....

Ha! I remember that too!! Under 2's also got flight for free and they didn't ask for proof of age. :)

Mine is out in October. I am going to France in July. I presume I’ll have no problems but should probably leave renewal until after my trip. Given the possibility of a delay.

Mine is out in October. I am going to France in July. I presume I’ll have no problems but should probably leave renewal until after my trip. Given the possibility of a delay.
I submitted my renewal online on Monday morning last week, the passport arrived in the post Wednesday morning, passport card on Friday.

It shouldn't really matter. Your old passport remains valid for four weeks after the issuance of a new one.

It shouldn't really matter. Your old passport remains valid for four weeks after the issuance of a new one.
Good point, and submitting the renewal online means that you hold on to the existing passport. It's not like the old days when you had to enclose that with the renewal form.

Ok. I’d be slightly worried I might be the one case where it might take 6 weeks. The time I got my kids theirs I had to write to a politician to get them expedited after they had not arrived after around 6 weeks of a wait. I’m due to travel early July and my current one does not expire until November so I might hold off.

Ok. I’d be slightly worried I might be the one case where it might take 6 weeks.
You've nothing to lose, you still hold on to the existing passport which remains valid for travel, but given that it doesn't expire until after your return date and you're travelling within the EU, you certainly don't need to renew it before you travel. Waiting until closer to the expiry date would make financial sense long term.

The only benefit of applying now would be if you were going to opt for the card, that could come in handy in case a passport was left behind in a hotel safe for example, the card will be enough to get you back home on an EU flight.

Ok thank you Leo. I will appt for the card when I do the renewal. Good idea to have a back up. I just saw some stuff online about UK citizens and their passports being declined within 3 months of renewal date but I think it’s Brexit related. So I’m ok with an expiry date in November. Was thinking of heading away at Xmas but the airport chaos is putting me off.

Back