Irish Law Degree - Florida

Gulliver1

I am from Ireland. I am an American citizen and I have just recently completed a LL.B (Hons.) Degree in Law.

I have a property in Naples, FL and I am wondering how I can go about sitting the Florida Bar Exam in order to practice as a Lawyer in Florida.

I understand that I am eligible to sit the New York and Californian Bar Exam, and I would like to know for certain whether or not I am eligible to sit the Florida Bar Examinations.

I would appreciate any advice you might have!

Many thanks in advance

[broken link removed]. AAM members know a lot about a lot, but I'd wager the intricacies of qualifying for the Florida Bar are not one of them :rolleyes:

There was another thread about this before as I recall... This information is extremely easy to find out OP. However, I think this might be a better link (to the FL Board of Bar Examiners) - some of the State Bar Associations are only commercial groupings and can be unrelated to the actual official Bar Exam people (New York is similar)

If you can't get the answer from the information on the page itself, there's a "contact us" button with contact details. From a quick scan (which I swore I wouldn't get dragged into) it doesn't look like you can sit the FL bar without either having gone to college in an ABA accredited law school in the US or being a member of another state bar.

Hi there,
It was probably my post that you saw before. I have been trying to suss out the position for about a year now. I cannt acquire a definite answer from their website nor from having contacted the Board directly.

However, a contact in Florida itself (a lawyer) said that it should be possible, but he did not elaborate on this.

Another option is if I sit the NY or CA Bar Exams and then look for a transfer to Florida, but god knows how they would react to that!

I am just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the FL Bar before etc.

Thanks again!

how do u manage to have a place in a beautiful place like naples

My point exactly! I want to live there 365 days a year instead of 2 or 3 weeks a year holiday!!!!!!

yeah but did you buy it or what? what u doing in ireland at all

I believe that you cannot sit the Florida Bar with a foreign law degree. I understand that you have to practice in another state for a number of years before you can be admitted.
As you say NY and Cali allow you to sit the Bar and I believe Texas does to.

Back