Irish is the new Black

ali

Reminded by a thread in LOS I wanted to ask AAM users their impression of our Teanga. I was reared in a generation where everyone hated Irish and it was profoundly unfashionable (but so were beards :eek:)

Recently I've come across loads of incidences where young people were conversing as Gaeilge unprompted on public transport, in our premises, in pubs / restaurants etc.

Bhí an Ghaeilge go líofa agam ag ann abhainn ach tá sé saghas caillte agam anois.

I think it's great. Is it testament to our Ghaelscoileanna or Gaeltachts?

Is it coming back? Has anyone else noticed?

A,.

Bhí an Ghaeilge go líofa agam ag ann abhainn ach tá sé saghas caillte agam anois.

Only slagging now (dont take offence), an abhainn is "the river", an am is "the time". But like that I used to have a good "phonetic" use of Irish, I could speak more than I could write - whereas with French I could write it ok but not great to speak it.

I'm all for Irish, but I do find that the real gaelgoirs are hard enough to follow - say if you look at TG4, you've some lad from the back end of Connemara muttering at 100mph, he'd be hard to follow in english let alone Irish.

Watching matches as gaelige and all that is good, & fairly accessible for non experts.

Only slagging now (dont take offence), an abhainn is "the river", an am is "the time". But like that I used to have a good "phonetic" use of Irish, I could speak more than I could write - whereas with French I could write it ok but not great to speak it.

I'm all for Irish, but I do find that the real gaelgoirs are hard enough to follow - say if you look at TG4, you've some lad from the back end of Connemara muttering at 100mph, he'd be hard to follow in english let alone Irish.

Watching matches as gaelige and all that is good, & fairly accessible for non experts.

Lol, Thanks for the corrections Betsy. Abhainn was a mistake but "am" was due to drinking and typing. I learned my small bit of Irish from 4 summers in the Gaeltacht and I loved it. I really hope it's coming back and the usage increases.

Back