Irish hat trick in Iran

Liamos

Hope everyone was watching the Tehran derby in Iran there last week. No?
Well, your from the League of Ireland, your team is 2 - 0 down, and you're about to come on as a sub in front of 90,000 people.

What can an ex League of Ireland player possibly do? Well stand up and take a bow Eamon Zayed. He only comes on and scores a hat trick!http://youtu.be/OiLQX8lKMTc

Great link, Liamos. Yeah, I heard Éamon's interview on the radio last night. Sounds like a grand fella.

I love the "pitch invasion" after the 3rd goal! :)

Pity Éamon plays for Libya now. :(

Goal.com selected him as World Player of the Week after his local derby hat trick!

AS BILL CULLEN almost said, it’s a long way from the Belfield Bowl.

Last night, former Derry City and Bray Wanderers striker Eamon Zayed struck a stunning hat-trick… in the Tehran derby.

The treble were his first goals for new club Persepolis, coming in his second game, and in front of a crowd of some 90,000 fans. They ultimately beat Esteghlal 3-2.

“To score my first goals for the club and in the manner in which I did, was absolutely amazing,” Zayed told Rory Kelly of Extratime.ie afterwards. “It was a derby here, the two biggest teams in Iran, played in front of 90,000 fans in the national stadium and 20 million people watched it live on TV.”

The Libyan international’s hat-trick secured an unlikely win for the side, having been reduced to 10 men

http://www.thescore....344934-Feb2012/

The reaction generally to Zayed’s hat-trick reveals more about people's patronizing attitude to the LOI than anything else in my opinion.

Are people amazed that a guy from the LOI can score goals in front of 90,000 people??

He’s had a good goal to game ratio since he made his debut in the LOI, who’s to say the standard in the LOI isn’t a lot higher than in the Iranian league??

The major difference would appear to be Iranians follow their local league. I long for the days that a Dublin derby would get even 15,000 at it again.

Well said Rovers1901.
There are quite a few ex LOI players plying their trade in the Premier League at the minute.

Kevin Doyle at Wolves (ex Cork City FC)

Shane Long at WBA (ex Cork City FC)
Dave Myler at Sunderland (ex Cork City FC)
Shane Coleman at Everton (ex Sligo Rovers)
James McClean at Sunderland (ex Derry City)
Wes Hoolihan at Norwich (ex Shelbourne)

Plus I am sure there are a few more I am missing……

Of course the great Roy Keane started at Cobh Ramblers.

PS…. Keep an eye out for Graham Cummins who recently joined Preston North End from Cork City FC. He will grab his chance with both arms! If he starts knocking them in expect a few other higher placed clubs to take an interest.

The talent is in the League of Ireland but unfortunately the money isn’t. In Cork LOI soccer is down the pecking order after the following sports; Premiership soccer, Hurling, Gaelic Football and Munster Rugby. We are the poor relations.

To that list you can add
Connor Sammon ex UCD - now at Wigan & Stephen Ward ex Bohs -now Wolves.
The LOI has produced some tremendous talent -in particular Paul McGrath & Roy Keane - hopefully James McLean & Seamus Coleman have a chance of becoming equally good.
Three ex LOI players played in European Cup finals - Waterford's own Jim Beglin ( who unfortunately played with the Shams ! ) Ronnie Whelan ex Home Farm & Tony Dunne ex Shels - The latter two have winner's medals , Beglin played on that miserable night in the Heysel.
Here's hoping Eamon Zayed has a productive time in Libya .

Just hearing that Eamon Zayed is one of the nominees for Airtricity League player of the year (as is James McClean).

Back