Irish Expat - Can I "retire" at 55 in Ireland even though I'm still working abroad?

flairgun

Basically, I have a few years worth of a pension which is still in my company plan in Ireland and I emigrated to the USA 10 years ago. I'm aware that I have basically no options under current rules for moving that pension to my USA 401k plan or other.
However, what happens when I reach retirement age?
In the USA, I fully expect I will be working beyond the age of 55, as at that time my youngest kids will either be starting college or in last year of high school.
For the purposes of that pension, can I legally "retire" from an official Irish standpoint and claim the money at age 55? Do the plan managers typically require some formal letter from your employer indicating you have retired? Any way around this?

I'm also concerned about this thread: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/cannot-buy-irish-annuity-because-i’m-non-resident.198468/
Am wondering about the mechanics of how I'm going to cash out that pension with no Irish bank account or address and also ensuring I don't become liable for taxes unnecessarily in the USA. Anyone with experience in this regard?

I am as well with a company plan and the administrators told me that I will be able to transfer the plan abroad to a pension vehicle of the country I will move to (subject to some revenue rules) or get a pension paid out world wide.

Last edited:
I am as well with a company plan and the administrators told me that I will be able to transfer the plan abroad to a pension vehicle of the country I will move to (subject to some revenue rules) or get a pension paid out world wide.
The "subject to some revenue rules" covers a multitude. It basically makes it impossible to transfer to a plan in the USA, for instance.

You should be able to access it at 50 under the Irish rules. Whether that would incur the wrath of the IRS, I don't know, but I suspect not.

Back