Ireland's Worst Accent

Re: D4

Story boss. Deadly.

Talk proper, "de teeshoch cant spek properly". Y'bleeedinposho.

"D'bleeding teeshock cant talk proper".

Show us yer delf.

One cannot regionalise the worst accent - there are shining examples of it from all regions in the majority of people. Indistinct and grammatically incorrect speech are both extremely common. The majority of people do not seem to be interested in speaking properly, as long as they are understood by their audience is all that seems to matter. In fact, it is "uncool" in many circles to speak properly - inverted snobbery at its best.

Two examples of "accent evolution" are Des Lynam the sports commentator and Brian O'Connell from RTE news - both fluent speakers of plain English. These are two Irishmen but they got up, got out and got away which is a pre-requisite for most Irish people to cultivate their accent. Speaking of hick accents, why do members of the Gardai interviewed on RTE seem to look and sound like total bog hoppers? They are a parody of a PC Plod type of policeman / woman and do nothing to dispel the stereotype of the paddy.

Hi longface or GG, about six years ago I was talking to a very eminent Linguist from Trinity and he told me that the only part of Ireland that has no accent is the actual village areas of Laytown & Bettystown. Talking to locals there he was right.

If they talked to a foreigner they would be classified as having an Irish accent, so even Laytown + Bettytown have an accent.

Geegee= Horse = Longface. :)
Rabbit, within the 32 counties and not to a foreigner. It's still the purest form of spoken English available within a small community, untainted by any accent , but that is about to change with the influx of Dubs and other hard accent people like Cork & Northerners.

Dundalk Accent

A relation is from Dundalk - or, the "toon", as he says - I honestly haven't understood a word he's said for years. No kidding. I enjoy accents, and no doubt the Dundalk one is no worse or better than anywhere else, but Klingon makes more sense to me.

James

Re: Dundalk Accent

Where's Cúchullain or Setanta when their toon ( craptown )needs them most.

Bad Accents

1. South Dublin Female sounds like a south african accent

the word vowel becomes "vile" . There was an infestation of these affected morons on AA Roadwatch for a while which introduced the "Rindabite" to us all. Send them back to South Africa I say.

2. Limerick skanger accent. Yuk .

3. Dundalk town accent , awful . Skanger meets border accent meets Midlands.

4. Athlone town accent. Ultra Midlands

5. Dublin skanger accent, the nasal drawl version. "Stu'ohry"

Thems my lot.

The drogheda accent is a bad accent indeed, but to be honest all accents are awful. Ever watch the TV3 news when they interview people on the streets ??

Got to put my weight behind the argument that the accent used by young dubs to sound hard beats all others by a mile. I really like what would have been called an 'aould Dub accent some years ago, and still spoken by many Dubs. But when I hear some young dubs nowadays contorting their faces to snarl out the words in the heaviest accent, with the most expletives (I am well able to curse myself) they can muster, it depresses me. Much of this comes with a uniform too, no need to describe it.

... or even worst irish accent ... Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise ...

Irelands worst accent

bluespud,

What you're describing sounds like a Chav! It was only a matter of time before they were imported from across the water.

For more info. read Chav! A user's guide to Britains new ruling class by Mia Wallace and Clint Spanner.

It's makes compulsive reading!

Re: Irelands worst accent

Looked up Chav on the net, yup, sounds just about right.

Re: Irelands worst accent

Remember 'BOSCO' on RTE!!

That gets my vote for worst accent and although not proven I'd say it was probably a contributing factor to a lot of those subsequent army deafness claims.

Back