Ireland's Worst Accent

D

daltonr

I don't know why I feel compelled to write this, I don't want to insult anyone (although I probably will). I just can't keep this to myself any more:

Is the Drogheda, Dundalk accent Ireland's worst?

You know the one, Let's call it the Brendan Ogle accent. Although to be fair to the man his isn't the worst form of it.
There was a guy on Pat Kenny's show this morning talking about Recycling and it finally tipped me over the edge.

I can't stand it. Am I alone? Is there counselling or other help available?

Again apologies if I'm offending anyone, I have in my time known one or two people from the area and they were lovely people, but damn that accent sucks.

Is it officially Ireland's worst? I think it would be in with a shout of a European or even World gold medal in the Bad Accent Championships.

-Rd

I'm a Dub, who lived in Dundalk for two years.
IMHO, the Dub accent is worse. The avoidance of consonants and the use of the F-word as a noun, verb, adjective, etc. puts it way ahead of all other contenders.
The Limerick City accent (think Jim Kemmy) is fairly bad and there's a drawl from around the Wexford Carlow area that grates on the nerves, but the Dub accent is by far the worst.

"Plummy" Northern Ireland Accents like the the former Westminster correspondent on TV. Do you know the one I mean? full of strangulated vowels and constonants. I think it might be from South Down but Im not sure.

The Kilgarvan Accent as spoken by Jackie Healy Rae. Dont get me wrong there are many fine Kerry accents (for example the gaelic sports commentator Miheal o'M , Dick Spring, ect). but I dont like the Kilgarvan Accent because it is slurred and difficult to understand.

What criteria would you like us to consider when proposing the worst accent in Ireland. Understandability? Irritation Factor? Speed, Pitch, Inflection or just overall artistic merit.

Incidently what kind of accent does Shane Ross, Kevin Myers and David Norris have?

ajapale

a skangy wexford townie accent is pretty bad..
(ow!!)

what a useless post, and started by a moderator!!!!!!

have you an oh so perfect accent rdalton? annoying accent? more like an annoying post. what a waste of time and such snobbery.

maybe it should be what they say, not the way they say it, or how it sounds to such sensitive ears.

unbelievable.

Accents

AJP

The guy is Fergus O'Rahalaigh (sp??) he has a very similar accent to the BBC commentator John Cole.

Doobey, Rleax bye he's only letting off steam after all, and he did issue a warning.

Nat

accents

to be honest, i'm a very relaxed person until the other night, a typical Dub started on about my accent (Cork). been a sore point since then, mainly because of the arrogance shown to me by him. daltonr was rubbing a still very raw nerve. assumption that daltonr is a very arrogant Dub bringing up how annoying he finds his fellow countrymen and women, may be wrong, and I apologise if so. however the post did come across as quite arrogant

natchessman, are you by any way from Cark? adding bye gives it away but check the spelling, it may just be baei?!!

worst of the worst

..has to be the affluent 'english' accents used in Irish TV & radio advertising. Anyone hear the radio add for some Property Investor news paper where you have these muppets bidding ..300,000 ...500,000! etc..... )a load a bollix...

..closer to home it has to be the dub accent....I also don't like the Northern Ireland accent or the Dundalk accent or the Wexford accent..or the Ceavin accent....
...that about sums it up for me really ;)

ninsaga

D1

I think the post creates a focus on each of the patois within our nation, it is true that someone from certain parts of the country would never make it as an auctioneer or radio show host, but, that is part of our ethnology and who we are. But that bloody Ceork accent is so course it does remind me of the brogue Irish dialect.

Along with the tone, the choice and order of words is what I find most annoying. But each nation has their dialectically challenged brethren, England has Liverpool and Newcastle.
NY has the Bronx and Italians have the Calabrese.
It would be boring thought if we all speaked correctly, as we say in Dublin 1.

Re: accents

For my twocents worth Drogheda and Dundalk are both dire but the Doooooob accent is even worse and habits even worser still.

Re: accents

As a transplanted Dub, I'd have to grant you that we/they (?) certainly do have a filthy aul' mouth...

Since I moved from the Pale, I find I have to watch my fuc*ing language all the time. In fact, if you went 'round talking like that in Limerick, why, they'd knife you! :lol

Is the Drogheda, Dundalk accent Ireland's worst?
yes.
The Dublin skanger accent is very bad but that flat drawl just kills me.
a typical Dub started on about my accent (Cork). been a sore point since then
That was out of line. After all, everyone knows how insecure Cork people are about, well, being from Cork!;)

D4

I hate the fake UCD/D4 accent that all culchies seem to adopt when they move to Dublin. Bugs the cr*p out of me!

Accent

I took my husband to a family wedding in Cork a few years ago ... had to spend the entire time translating for him ... :)

Re: Accent

assumption that daltonr is a very arrogant Dub bringing up how annoying he finds his fellow countrymen and women, may be wrong,

Yes, very wrong. I'm certainly not a Dub. Arrogant yes from time to time. *Very* arrogant might be pushing it.

As for my own accent I'm not sure what it is, it's become muddled from years of moving around. It's defintiely Irish, but Irish people tend not to know where I'm from.

Incidently I like the Cork accent, Galway Accent, Some parts of Kerry. I agree with the people who dislike the Wexford Town accent, I don't have a huge problem with any of the Dublin accents, although D4 is kinf od annoying. I don't particularly like the Kilkenny or Waterford accents even though that's where I'm from. I'm quite happy to have lost that accent (or never had it).

This isn't about snobbery, I like accents, I particularly like music where I can hear the accent instead of the pseudo American accent that music tends to morph into.

Similarly I hate the radio DJ accent, sounding like he/she is floating in a boat half way between the US and Ireland.

Sorry if I caused offense. I did warn you.

-Rd

Re: D4

yea i have to agree with that I also think the D4 accent is the worst for the simple reason that it is not a natural accent but put on usually by female culchies.

put on usually by female culchies.

I don't know if that's true. I presume you're referring to the AA Roadwatch accent, which I have no problem at all with.

By D4 I was thinking more of the kind of stuff you hear on the Dort Roysh. When you're loike you knoew heading in to town for the day. That's pretty annoying.

-Rd

The inner city / northside Dublin "accent" is de worst. Even de teeshoch cant spek poperly.

Back