Ireland - Its sinking ..

Re.Noo, it's not prejudiced here

Maxhooper,
since none of us (as far as I know) were in the court for either of these trials and know nothing of the backgrounds of the people convicted it would be imposable to have a balanced or informed discussion about the two cases. what I would say is that on balance Judges in this country and lass racist and more liberal than the majority of the population, and no, I am not saying that we are a country of unbalanced racists.
I have enjoyed this thread and for the second time in as many days I find myself in broad agreement with piggy.
That I do find disturbing.

Re: Re.Noo, it's not prejudiced here

"I have enjoyed this thread and for the second time in as many days I find myself in broad agreement with piggy.
That I do find disturbing."

Happens to the best of 'em purple ;)

:lol

Excellent entertainment. I do enjoy seeing Mr Pigster getting his knickers in a bunch. Three posts from the Pink One in a row at one juncture.

ireland

'On the social front, I don't drink much but I must say I think the social/nightlife in Dublin is amazing. Anyone who thinks its all about binge drinking isn't looking very hard!'

Here, here, anyone know a country with a better social life than Ireland? I go out on the weekends, have agreat time and don't necessarilly have to get mad drunk. Life in this country was'nt meant to be taken seriously folks.

Also ireland does have a pretty decent climate compared to some other countries.
The countryside is some of the most beautiful in the world, and it only takes 1 hour to get to it from downtown dublin.
Also I'm eternally grateful for having some really good friends.

The problem with utopia is its boring. Try living in an american suburb for a while, youll be on the prozac fairly soon.

As regards money, we've a lot more of it than some of our less fortunate neighbours
It ain't perfect, but I know of a lot worse places to live in

piggy -<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->To correctly refer to another when using reflexive pronouns one writes :<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Why doesn't (verbal change) he go live somewhere else where his life isn't so crap?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->purple -<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->The discrepancy in sentencing for the damages is outrageous (€5,290 v €1,500,000), regardless of the 'circumstances'. What I fault find with is the incarceration of the non-nationals while an angry young man walks the streets simply because he says he was "...very sorry for what I've done, the damage I've caused". Neither he nor his cadre have learned that anti-social behavoiur is unacceptable. But he is 'tru and tru' and therefore you are not protesting what is blatantly a bias in sentencing.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->These events clearly demonstrate why
Ireland - Its sinking ..

househunter1 -<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->How about contributing to the 'pro' aspect of the thread by naming some of the venues where you regularly experience the amazing social/nightlife in Dublin? Lots of light in here but no heat.

All your questions answered.

piggy wrote of the comment, "Worldly? I suppose, given that racism exists in every corner of the globe." -

Maybe you could explain this to me?

Sure. If racism is found everywhere in the world then the postulate is that is is 'worldly'.

piggy wrote of the comment, "By my count, the 'abroad-Irish' have yet to acknowledge a positive trait and the 'stay-at-homes' to propose one" -

One wonders if you have trouble reading what people have been saying max. Or is it just that you choose to ignore what we've been saying, because it better suits your twisted views?

The collective term, we, is erroneously placed. Your contribution of 'home and family' as positive aspects of Ireland (or anywhere else for that matter) not withstanding, where is the concordance of others?

Any more questions?

Also from today's Indo (proving that Irish s*** doesn't stink -
An Taisce president Frank Corcoran said he was walking along Tramore beach and found to his horror sewage being pumped into the sea on an incoming tide with bathers in it.

"On a sunny summer day, on an incoming tide this county council chooses to pump sewage metres away from family groups bathing, putting their health at risk. This is outrageous," said Mr Corcoran.

Marine expert, Karin Dubsky of the Coastwatch Europe network said: "It is a health hazard. People could be swimming in that area. They should put a warning out." Gabriel Hynes, senior engineer with Waterford Co council, said yesterday: "If there was any danger we would be taking action."
<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Right, Mr. Hynes. Pumping effluence into the sea is fine as long as you post a sign.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Ah to be sure, it'll be grand.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Any incensed, environmentally-aware Irish out there ringing Mr. Hynes to demand immediate action? And where were you the past 50 years?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->
Ireland - Its stinking ..​

But don't take my word about the levels of prejudice in Ireland (again, from today's Indo) -
-----------------------​
No clean slate for State on prejudice charges

GOVERNMENT departments, health boards, local authorities and State-run companies were named as culprits in a disturbing number of complaints of discrimination to the Equality Authority last year.

A total of 171 allegations of discrimination concerning such bodies were made based on race, gender, sexual orientation, disability and membership of the Traveller Community, according to the Equality Authority's 2003 annual report released yesterday.
-----------------------​
But then I just might be a wee bit prejudice towards the failings of Ireland.

Max

Can you tell us how many of the 171 allegations were upheld by the authority?

There is a significant difference to me between planning and executing a theft and the damage to property in the second case you mentioned earlier. I don't necessarily agree with the sentence given but see no problem with the first one.

Personnally New Zealand is the only place that I've been to that I think I might prefer to live in on a long term basis. Plently of places I would like to experience though.

Nogser

Hi maxhopper
Lots of pubs, clubs on Georges / wexford st, Whelan's probably the best, fab spot. Also Rathmines many good pubs. One qualm they close too early. Its pretty unfair to get kicked out onto the street at 3am when you're just getting going, but thats another can of worms.
Galway and Cork have some great nightspots too.

Honestly? Willful destruction of property is less contemptable than ATM theft? As long as it isn't your property, I'll wager.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->NIMBYism is another indication that Ireland hasn't any social conscience.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->But seriously, three points I would like to make here about the report -<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ol><li>The [broken link removed] website has not been updated for nearly a week, so I cannot read the report. Why?</li><li>That the Irish are generally forebearing types and largely apathetic so even 50 complains should come as a surprise.</li><li>That discrimination, hatred, prejudice, and racism even exists on this idyllic isle.</li></ol><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

Okay. Whelans... that's the extent your explanation of 'amazing social/nightlife'? Admit it, overpriced drink, obnoxious bouncers, droolers and gawpers galore. Yeah, Dublin's social/nightlife is 'amazing'.

Doomed, but I ain't no rat

<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Which way outta here?
-----------------------​

Troll?

Yes and I had you all fooled...all you racist catholics and tru and truers on AAM.

I'll be around in many different forms.

Keep an eye out for me.

BRAIN DRAIN

Elk, great topic and some good posts!

WHat, 7 pages in two days? Is this an AAM record? Anyhow, you`ve obviously touched a nerve(even if it`s only Piggy`s and `MaxHooper`s!)

No harm for us to look at the negative sides of ourselves. And maybe even improve on them. Hope you manage to work your way around them/through them and begin to settle back. Being away for a bit brings it`s own problems.

You do seem to be a proactive sort-liked your Tuesday with Morrie quote. Maybe you`re destiny lies in the local CO Council in your efforts to improve this place?

Have to say I love it here. But them I`m a narrowminded white Catholic untravelled overpaid civil servant!

Anyway, congrats! Good `un!
Cliona

Interesting

I loved your list!! It's interesting to see what an Italian thinks of this country and I can see you have been here many years.
Bang on!! I wish you many happy years of drinking tea in this country.

Back