Ireland 20 England 16

Caveat

Well done lads!

Ok, I'll leave the rest of the thread to the experts but:

"Whilst England are seemingly a physically stronger side and while both teams possess skill in roughly equal measure it was Ireland's speed and tactical play, the ability to make the most of chances, that ultimately won them the game"

(The assessment from a non-sports fan who gets a little excited at national games - how did I do? ;))

Last edited:
Would Ronan O'Gara have missed 4 out 5 kicks at goal? Had they gone over Ireland would have been out of sight much earlier, but a great result all the same.

Would Ronan O'Gara have missed 4 out 5 kicks at goal?

Probably not, we'll never know, but the England centres would have walked all over O'Gara and may have scored another try. Sexton put in a few tackles that O'Gara would have not been able to make. It was a good learning experience for Sexton.

Tony Buckley played better than I've ever seen him play.

Anyway, great result in Twickers.

Would Ronan O'Gara have missed 4 out 5 kicks at goal? Had they gone over Ireland would have been out of sight much earlier, but a great result all the same.

They were hardly "gimme" kicks. One was from his own half!! He also set up the first try with a great kick.

O'Gara came on and set up the winning platform with a great kick.

Two great players. No need for a Ronan V Jonathan debate. The team won. It's about more than the starting 15 these days.

Great result but think we'll see O'Gara back in for the next game.

Admittedly none of Sexton's missed kicks were easy. But I'm sure it will spur him on to put in extra practice hours.

And to be fair, O'Gara wasn't playing well recently himself.

Do you not remember O'Gara against England in Croker last year? He had a shocker with kicks a lot easier than Sexton missed today. It got so bad that O'Driscoll took on the drop goal (and nailed it) because O'Gara's confidence was shot.

Be glad that we have two very good ones.
However I can this degenerating to the oh so predictable Leinster versus Munster bull beloved of the rugby club bores

"Whilst England are seemingly a physically stronger side and while both teams possess skill in roughly equal measure it was Ireland's speed and tactical play, the ability to make the most of chances, that ultimately won them the game"

Sorry Caveat but I have to disagree about the roughly equal skills. England have nothing near our ability at numbers 11-15. They just have bruisers who don't know what to do with the ball. England had 70%+ of the possession. The one try they did get was an up the jumper job. Physically England are immense but they have no craft, skill or imagination in the back line for this level of rugby.

Oh and I'm not even going to start on the two lugs at 9 & 10.

I dunno Caveat. Stuart Barnes has managed to knock a career out of talking pony. Don't give up just yet.

I dunno Caveat. Stuart Barnes has managed to knock a career out of talking pony. Don't give up just yet.

Stuart Barnes article in yesterday's Sunday Times was excellent.
In essence it agreed with everything you said in your previous post !

Perhaps he has finally seen the light. I must read his article yesterday then because he usually writes absolute guff.

Back