Ipod v Creative

catherined61

Im in the market of buying a MP3 player and originally was leaning towards a creative one but others swear by an IPOD, what are the pros and cons of each?

Im in the market of buying a MP3 player and originally was leaning towards a creative one but others swear by an IPOD, what are the pros and cons of each?
I've an ipod nano (4GB) very good only i hate all this Itunes garbage! just want to drag 'n' drop songs on but i must do it through itunes, (probably so i notice one of the ads) very annoying!

I've no experience with Creative though. How are they powered? Do you put your own battery in? My ipod battery is running down faster and faster, cell must be going :(

That is my dislike towards Ipod, I just want to be able to drag files, maybe itis the sony that has a windows menu ? How many songs does 4gb hold?

No experience of ipods but have a Creative Vision:M (30Gb) -60Gb also available but you MUST ring them to get it.

Powered by internal battery. I play it for about 1 hour a day (use FM transmitter while driving) and it lasts about a week and a half before recharging (takes about hour or less).

I have just over 2000 tracks on the unit, most are usual length but thirty are approx 30 min each. There's also an FM radio, and video...and an organiser...and data storage....photo album. Costs a bit more than the usual units but, imho, well worth it.

NB Get a skin for any unit you get!! It will protect it to some extent if you drop it..and you will!!

You're both missing half the point of an iPod, its a combination of iPod/iTunes that makes them so easy to use. I've never noticed any ads in iTunes unless you use the iTunes Store, and then its only listing newly available music. You don't have to use the iTunes Store at all if you don't want too.

Get an iPod!

I just got the itouch after having an iriver and i love it. Great big screen, which you can easily watch film on, easy functionality and has internet access aswell with a direct link to youtube. It is a little steep in price compare to other player out there but it works so well.
Im not a big fan of itunes. Dont like all that sync lark, just let me drag the stuff across!!!!
Another thing about apple is, most accessories out there like speaker docks and that, seem to be aimed towards the ipod.

I got a Creative Zen a few years ago - around 2003, I think (were they out then?!). It looks like it was made in the 17th century when you compare it to Zens on the market now, but it is just class. Great battery life. Practically indestructible. I've never had any hassle with it. And I suspect that they've just gotten better over the years.

I caved in 2005 and bought a 60gb ipod. I have to say that I do use it more. Lots of friends and family members have ipods so we swop lots of music - that was my main reason for changing. If most of your buddies have Creative, maybe get the one instead? The ipod battery life is a bit cat on mine, but my brother bought one recently and because it's a newer model the battery is better.

To be honest, I've heard worse things about ipods - they tend to break more easily and can be quite contrary. I've just been lucky so far! I'd lean towards the Creative unless you've a load of friends with ipods who wanna share!

Enjoy.

I just got the itouch
you were quick off of the mark!!
Another thing about apple is, most accessories out there like speaker docks and that, seem to be aimed towards the ipod.
I think they will have compatible accessories in the future. I have the old nano and can't decide whether to get the classic or iTouch but i think the touch wil win. great to hear you like.
For me there is no choice as i own a Mac as well - i just love my nano

you were quick off of the mark!!
I think they will have compatible accessories in the future. I have the old nano and can't decide whether to get the classic or iTouch but i think the touch wil win. great to hear you like.
For me there is no choice as i own a Mac as well - i just love my nano

Aye, have it about 2 weeks now. Bought it in New York :)
Id say another good thing about apple is the itunes store. Now i havnt used it but if fancy downloading music without the music industry on your back then a tenner an album aint bad!!! and direct to the itunes player. A plus for me definately!!

then a tenner an album aint bad!!

Not as good as a dollar an album here;)
I bought an ipod 4th gen in 2004, but it has since broken down - the screen is just completely blank even though it is powered up. Apple store says it can't be repaired (which seems to be their stock answer for everything). I have just bought the Zen 60GB on Amazon for around 240 euro which is great - as it has video, photos, radio and voice recorder on top of mp3. Also I reckon they do not break as easily. Anyone I know who has bought an ipod over the last few years has had it break down on them very easily, so I'm with the Zen on this one.......

I bought an 80gb ipod in the states last month and so far so good. The only complaint i'd have is the drag and drop thing.
But i found this http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/ and it works perfectly for drag and drop. Got the itrip too for the car and its great. Just making sure i have everything backed up for the enevitable breaking of the ipod!

If you can find one, I still maintain the cowan iAudio remains the finest player on the market. If you want it for watching videos the screen may be on the small side, however I never really got watching films etc on a screen that could fit in your pocket anyway.

For people who like their music to sound good, I don't think the iAudio can be beaten on sound quality. It has however dated a bit, as it is about 2 years old, however a testament to their quality is that they've hardly dropped in price at all. The titanium metal casing makes it very durable, not a mark on mine after 1.5 years, still looks good as new.

However, my main point is, Apple continue to refuse to include a radio on their gadgets, a SERIOUS drawback for all of their products IMO. A lot of people find that having all that music in their pocket is great for a few months, however when commuting its nice just to stick the radio on. Not option with iPod.

iAudio and Creatives you can record off the radio - great touch!! :)

PC Pro's recommendations are usually spot on and their current A-List suggests the Creative Zen Vision:M as the best MP3 player with the SanDisk Sansa e270 an alternative iPod-beater.

Completely agree with mollser.

I have a 1GB iAudio 5.

Great sound.
Radio and 1 button recording off the radio.
Can even be used as a Dictaphone.

One of the main reason I bought it though is the size and the radio. You wouldn't even know you're carrying it as it's only 28g. I suppose it's a toss up between the physical size of the player and storage size. At the time 1GB was enough for me.

The iAudio 7 is out now and the capacity is 4GB or 8GB. Also has support for FLAC, which means your ripped music files will be identical to CD quality. Claims it has 60hrs battery life.

Don't forget to get a good pair of headphones. I recommend Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro or even the Triple.fi 10 Pro. You can get a pair of Super.fi on eBay for about €130 inc delivery.

Back