IPhone €180 Dubai

mylittlepony

Mom text me if i want an Iphone cos its €180 for 8GB.
She would get it and i pay her back.
Im not too into the Iphone cos a friend have one and I wasnt mad about it.
But its €300 here, so its is worth it?
Im sure I have seen a better one then Iphone, something by LG.
Cant think exact name but its glides and touch screen very lightly easy and its come with pen. With Iphone you press on screen.
What thats phone?

Also wonder would a SDHC / SD / MMC memory card multimedia be cheaper in Dubai there for my Canon digital camera Mini DV. Prefer a good mutlimedia memory card to record video clips than MiniDV tapes?
I would prefer good memory card over phone though.
Already have 2 standard phones.

Any advice welcome especially on memory card for camorder if anyone have been to Dubia and bought techic stuff there.
Thanks

iPhone would be good value as long as the operating system is not 3.0
As regards memory the advice is shop around. Even over here there can be up to 300% difference in prices

Only a problem if you want it unlocked or if you want to jailbreak to install 3rd party applications (besides whats on AppStore)

M,

Forget about the comment about Software version 3.0 on the iphone , this wont be an issue as it is not released yet to general public (only a BETA version released to developers on download ) what you do have to worry about is what firmware version is on the phone .

If it is software version 2.2.1 then it cannot be used on any Irish Network other than O2 as this firmware version can only be jailbroken (able to install 3rd party apps) but not unlocked (able to use on other networks ).
You cannot find out what version software is on the phone from the box you have to power it up so catch22 , buy it, open it, and take the risk ?

If you do buy it and it is ver 2.2.1 then you basically have a very expensive ipod touch .

Rumours are that there is a unlocking software for firmware version 2.2.1 but is deliberatly not been released until apple release O.S 3.0 , reason is if they release the unlock now during the 3.0 BETA release then apple will fix it before the public roll out of the full version in June/ July of this year .

You can buy factory unlocked iphone from ITALY or New Zealand for example then you have no worries as these phones can be used on any network as they are made with no restrictions due to the laws in these countries , they do not allow a phone maker to be signed to 1 network providor , they are the best type of phone to use if you wanna use a different providor (Vodafone) as you never have to worry about updating the phone and locking it again .......problem is they are really expensive circa €600

I know this has gone a little off thread but important you should know before splashing out €300.

If you do buy it and dont like it and its a 3G iphone and not running firmware 2.2.1 , i will gladly give you your €300 back for it .

My 2 pence worth.

M.
(p.s) sorry i dont know much about camcorders etc.

All this depends on whether phones sold in Dubai are sold with a "lock" on them. I got my iPhone from Italy, all phones sold there are fully open to any network, it came with 2.0 on it and I have since updgraded to each release which came along and I can pop any sim card in it and it will work fine

Also as mixnuts said, ignore 3.0 as it won't be released until the summer for end users.

Just reviewing this thread, I am correct in saying that if you purchase an unlocked iphone regardless of firmware(point noted on version 2.2.1) it will work on the Irish networks other than O2.

Is unlocked the same as sim free?.

With an unlocked phone do you get all the same bells and whistles as with locked on the O2 network, i.e emails etc

Macs, yes an unlocked iphone (as in sold by Apple unlocked and not using jailbreak/turbosim) will have all the same functionality as a contract phone. The only differences may be with 3g coverage and rates for data

PaddyC

Thanks for that, but what is the issue with so called "Unlocked" phones say on Ebay.

I assume Amazon and Play.com are selling authorised "Unlocked" and yet Ebay some maybe Jailbreaked with some functions if not all unable to work on the Irish network

Macs,
Amazon.co.uk and play.com won't ship electronics to Ireland, but I would guess they are locked to the o2 network, maybe for pay as you go. I got mine from ebay, just make sure you get one thats officially unlocked -which come from Italy, Belgium, maybe France. There may be a few other countries which phones cannot be sold with a network lock on them, they too should be fine.

Back