Ipad for use north & south of border

remey

Hi,

I want to buy my husband an ipad. He works in Northern Ireland Mon-Fri and has no wi-fi in his apartment. At home we have wi-fi.
Whats the best option to get him so he can use the Internet in the apartment and at home?
He's on a UK company mobile phone so cant tie it in with that?
I'm a bit clueless about all this.

Thanks

If your husband has an android phone, then it is possible to have the ipad utilise the 3G capability of the phone. This is called tethering.

AFAIK, tethering is not possible with an iphone or blackberry.

Hi TarfHead,

Thanks for that. He is a HTC sense. Do you think tethering would work there? Is it ok even if his phone is a work one?

Thanks

(@ tarfhead > Iphone tethering is possible btw - called 'hotspot')

Remey, if the company allow him to tether his HTC than he's fine and just needs to keep within his allowance. This is assuming its a NI phone.

If not your options are

> get wifi into his apartment in NI (sounds like you possibly dont want to get into contracts though)
> get his irish phone as a tether. here though you need to be careful that he has an international allowance and sticks to it.

If your husband has an android phone, then it is possible to have the ipad utilise the 3G capability of the phone. This is called tethering.

AFAIK, tethering is not possible with an iphone or blackberry.

Tethering works with the iPhone also it just is done over Bluetooth rather than WiFi.

How about this

[broken link removed]

gives you 3G broadband wifi and will work for any device including the Ipad.

Back