Investing in Germany

billdavies63

My wife and I have 100k invested in a mix of funds in Commerzbank in Germany. We got a note from one of their investment managers asking if we have further funds for investment, from 10k upwards.
They say ... for 10k of new funds we can give you a cash benefit of EUR 200, for 50k EUR 600.
Anyone know about this? Seems very odd.

Anything that looks to good to be true, normally is. As we all know any incentives offered by Financial Institutions can be classed as somewhat dubious, whether the institution is based in Germany, Ireland or Timbucktoo

Not sure if it's just a German thing but they're very big into offering incentives to switch to them. For example, Commerzbank offer you fifty euro if you switch your current account to them (but I didn't get it at the time I opened my account because I was switching from an Irish current account due to moving here and that didn't count. :rolleyes: ). I remember Irish banks doing similar, especially for student accounts - free mobile phones etc.

On the Commerzbank website they have a similar offer to the one you describe for people who switch their investments to their funds. 200 euro for 10,000 investment, 600 for a 50,000 investment and 1,000 for a 250,000 investment. It look like a fairly straightforward deal but these things tend to be a bit like supermarket BOGOF deals. Good on the surface but once you look at the small print, account costs (for example with the deal I looked at, setting the investment up over the phone costs 9.50, other costs for German investors were 0.25% of value invested, minimum 9.90), or minimum investment periods or whatever, you might not really end up making as big a gain as you think. Like BOGOFs, if you happen to have the money, don't get sucked into doing something you weren't prepared to do or already interesting in doing anyway, then there's nothing wrong with it. If you start thinking about doing something like borrowing the money to invest then it's just as silly as buying ten packets of something you never eat just because they were on special offer and too good to miss.

P.S. If anyone ever moves to Germany and wants to open a current account with Commerzbank, let me know. For a referral I'd get a 25 euro voucher and a free toaster :D

Have a look at Greenman Investments based in 122 Lr Baggot Street D2, who are investing in German Retail Parks with the likes of Aldi, Lidl, EDEKA, REWE, DM etc. as tenants.

Their blurb suggests 9% + return P.A.

Might be worth a punt.

Does anyone know anything about Greenman Investments? They are not regulated by the Central Bank but apart from that I like their philosophy as I do feel the German model is sound.

If anyone has any experience of them I'd love to hear their views.

Without any knowledge of the said company, I am not qualified to pass any comment regarding them. However I often ask as to why persons wish to invest in investments that are not regulated by the Central Bank. I'm sure they may well be crispy clean, but there really is little point in crying about them if something goes wrong.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Without any knowledge of the said company, I am not qualified to pass any comment regarding them. However I often ask as to why persons wish to invest in investments that are not regulated by the Central Bank. I'm sure they may well be crispy clean, but there really is little point in crying about them if something goes wrong.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

I see this note on their website about being regulated, I don't know if it was there when question above was asked;

Premier Benchmark Property LTD., t/a Greenman Investments is authorised as an Alternative Investment Fund Manager by the Central Bank of Ireland under the European Union (Alternative Investment Fund Managers) Regulations 2013. Authorisation number C123941.

Back