Investing in a career!

Pexus1976

Hi Folks!

I need some advice. I'm currently working as a consultant for a firm and have been actively looking for work as my current wage can not support my expenses.

I have 5 interviews coming up within the next week.

Have been to 2 interviews already. One has offered me a job and the second has requested I come back for a second interview!

As a result I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Do I go ahead with the initial job offer as they are putting pressure on me to sign on the dotted line by next week. It is a super opportunity and the salary is exactly what I'm looking for. I dont have the convenience or the time to wait till all my interviews have been completed. So I'm not sure If Ill be offered a better position in one of the other firms. What would you do?

Secondly how do I break this news to my boss. We have a good relationship and are more like friends then employer and employee at the moment! How or what wording have you used in the past to tell your boss you wish to resign?

Thanks

S

I'd be upfront. Tell the second interviewer that you have been offered a position that you're seriously considering and that if he is considering taking you on, you require a decision immediately. It's the truth, not a threat.

On the other hand, if the offer you have is all that you want, why even bother with the second one?

As for your current employer, your warm relationship doesn't extend to paying you enough to cover your expenses. While it's nice that you should consider the implications of your impending resignation, your primary responsibility is to yourself.

As the song says, breaking up is hard to do. Bite the bullet and be honest with him. His life will go on (is that another song?).

On the other hand, if the offer you have is all that you want, why even bother with the second one?

Hi Magoo, thanks for your advice!
The second interview may offer me more scope for development.

Take first job, and if something better comes along , take it.

In the free market , the individual has to look after himself.

Nobody is irreplacable in a job, your present company will get over your loss.

Back