Investigate marital status

Time

Is there any way to check the marital status of a person?

Is there any way to verify what they tell you? If someone claims to be unmarried and they really are, is there a way to prove it?

No not really, because they could have a foreign marriage or whatever....

When I got married in Switzerland, I had to go to the Irish embassy in Bern and take an oath to confirm that I was free to marry. They gave me a very officious parchment stating I was free to marry, which I then presented to the Swiss authorities and they were happy with that.

I don't think there is the equivalent here. Priests sign letters of freedom for potential spouses, but I don't think it has any legal status?

Other than google, and having a finely tuned radar, I don't think there is any official way to tell.

Ok,

I was wondering purely in the context of the family home protection act 1976.

If someone declares they are single and they are really married how can the solicitor/mortgage company check?

What would happen if a spouse appeared later and asserted rights under the act?

I was wondering purely in the context of the family home protection act 1976.

If someone declares they are single and they are really married how can the solicitor/mortgage company check?

If people lie then how can you check? A solicitor accepts the declaration as valid as their is no way to prove otherwise. And recently here on AAM we had a case similar to what you are outlining, someone who lied but I'm not able to find that thead but I think Vanilla replied on it - maybe you can ask her.

As for comeback, I presume one can go after the person who falsly made the declaration, but if they're not a mark I cannot see what one can do.

Sorry to tack on another question to your thread, Time, but it's in a similar vein. I was thinking recently about mortgage applications, and how factors such as marital status and the number of children you have impact on both the amount you may borrow and indeed whether you get a mortgage at all.

When dealing with the bank however, how are they to know these details are correct?

There are a few pointers that may give the game away. For instance, if I am claiming my wife's tax credits but claiming to be single, I am sure the very diligent bank employee will spot it. But what about the number of children? Aside from child benefit crediting an account of the institution, how will they know whether you have 5 children or 0? Or is it simply a case there is an assumption of good faith?

If people lie then how can you check? A solicitor accepts the declaration as valid as their is no way to prove otherwise. And recently here on AAM we had a case similar to what you are outlining, someone who lied but I'm not able to find that thead but I think Vanilla replied on it - maybe you can ask her.

As for comeback, I presume one can go after the person who falsly made the declaration, but if they're not a mark I cannot see what one can do.

Surely the bank/solicitor would be required to make adequate inquiries and not just accept the word of one person?

the short answer is no in ireland. you can not walk into a civil registration office and ask can you find out is john x married. you can get a civil letter of freedom from dept of foreign affairs but again this is not given to third parties as they are generally needed by persons getting married abroad. you could ask a priest if they married someone but i do not know if they .would tell you but if you had a human story they might assist, but that only covers church weddings and not civil cermonies. i know this is may be a personal question what is your reason for wanting the information might come up with other ideas

Back