Interview Protocol on asking about salary

Curleysue

Hi need your help again please!

When attending an interview what is the protocol about asking about salaries. If an interviewer asks what is your salary expectation how can you throw the ball back in thier court without sounding rude?? Or what is the correct protocol?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Re: Interview Protocal on asking about salary

Just to clarify, do you mean interviewer or interviewee?

Ahh thats what I thought you meant! :) I'd say attend the interview prepared to declare what it is you want, if you know it. Why do you want to push the ball back in the court? Do you want them to tell you what they are offering before you tell them what you are expecting? Better to be in the leading position here I'd say.

Ahh thats what I thought you meant! :) I'd say attend the interview prepared to declare what it is you want, if you know it. Why do you want to push the ball back in the court? Do you want them to tell you what they are offering before you tell them what you are expecting? Better to be in the leading position here I'd say.

Generally the topic comes up late in the interview (or at the second interview if there is one). You can always ask what the salary range is if they have not asked you your salary expectations (they may ask what are you on at the moment, so have a good answer if you are looking for something significantly different). I have even been known to leave this discussion to the job offer stage, which also works well.

Thank you all so much. I haven't attended an interview in some years, as have been in my current job about 7yrs. I am been made redundant due to the current economic climate. So just a little unsure about the protocol (if any). Have attended one interview and that question was asked midway through the interview. I told them what I was on and said I would be looking for something around that figure. Didn’t know if that was the right answer

Thanks again for the advice

Not too sure I would leave salary discussion until this stage myself or else you could end up being seriously disappointed.

Agree with you here, otherwise could be time wasted all around. Going for any interview I would be sure I knew the salary range before attending.

I was once told, in answer to the question 'what are your salary expectations' to say

'I would expect to earn at least the minimum insdustry standard. I am currently on 'x' amount, and would want to at least match or better that in order to justify leaving my current post'

This is what I have always said, and so far to no detriment. In fact the last post I went for I got an increase of 5k on my basic salary and a much better bonus.

BTW - when telling what your salary is fudge a bit, but not too much. Include everything you get - so if you get 29k plus 10% bonus, say you get 32k and a bonus! its worth a try. If they offer less but you really want the job, then make it look like you are willing to negotiate your salary because you want to work for them so much, rather than because you are not worth that much!

Agree with you here, otherwise could be time wasted all around. Going for any interview I would be sure I knew the salary range before attending.

In many cases, you'd have a reasonably good idea that the salary range is acceptable, in which case it is OK to fine tune while the offer is being negotiated. If the interviewee is unsure of the salary range then I agree it needs to be brought up earlier.

Back