Interpretating NCAP results - 4 star SUV vs. 5 star car?

you need to compare like with like or in the real world - large SUV versus regular family car - the arguement is weight and velocity = force - the more force you have on your side means the harder the others deformation needs to work.

I see, that's why you compared a disconitnued Saab 900 (not in production since 10 years ago) with a top of the range VW Touareg! Point taken :)

on a seriuos note, I agree, that's what I was saying to Demoivre when he compared a Fiesta to a Range Rover! But the point is: it depends on the individual design, not just weight.

I think we're repeting the same point.
Sure, i agree, that's simple physics: weight is an important factor! But it's not the only one. How you dissipate the force is another factor. (Design). Going by brute force only (heavier weight) is a bit brain dead, you can achieve alot by porper design as well. I gave examples of that!

I think that I will stay with the SUV - don't drive too fast and hence won't roll over - look at the pictures and real-life examples - anecdotally a friend's wife reversed her 4 star full size 06 SUV into a five star full size (empty thank god) 05 saloon car in a supermarket - what the result

SUV gets new plastic bumper to cover the ladder frame chassis
Saloon gets written off the A pillar / roof was damaged beyond repair

more force higher up = a lethal collision combination - less force lower down = better survival rates

I think that I will stay with the SUV - don't drive too fast and hence won't roll over - look at the pictures and real-life examples - anecdotally a friend's wife reversed her 4 star full size 06 SUV into a five star full size (empty thank god) 05 saloon car in a supermarket - what the result

SUV gets new plastic bumper to cover the ladder frame chassis
Saloon gets written off the A pillar / roof was damaged beyond repair

more force higher up = a lethal collision combination - less force lower down = better survival rates

By that logic, why stop there? You may still get hit by trucks. Why not buy an articulated lorry. You can get very nice ones, and you won't roll over in them either (can't go over 80mph). :)

No, I rather go with smarter options personally :) I'd be happy if I had an S-Class or a new S-80!

A Zafira having a better rating when it crashes in to a car of similar mass to itself than a Santa Fe crashing in to a vehicle of similar mass to itself ( ie the basis of the NCAP test ) does not mean that a Zafira will come out better when it crashes in to a Santa Fe ie a vehicle of different mass. A Ford Fiesta may well have a higher frontal impact NCAP rating than a Range Rover but in a head on collision between the two I know which one I would rather be in.
You're missing the point I think.The NCAP crash test is standardised: all cars are tested in exactly the same conditions, regardless of their size. The results of the crash test include an estimate of the damage caused to the occupants.See:http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_...p.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2006/273.aspxYou can decide for yourself which you'd rather be: note that whilst both are similar, the Santa Fe includes areas of "marginal" in passenger protection.

By that logic, why stop there? You may still get hit by trucks. Why not buy an articulated lorry. You can get very nice ones, and you won't roll over in them either (can't go over 80mph). :)

No, I rather go with smarter options personally :) I'd be happy if I had an S-Class or a new S-80!

ironically it was actually a modern SAAB that she hit - they could not believe the damage - the SUV mounted the car like it was a rock - luckily she has NCB protection and noone was injured - that mass / force thing

hey - its war out there at the moment - between indigenous souped up honda idiots and inebriated lits/lats/poles tearing around in uninsured barges - get weight on your side - keep high up out of harms way and have as much safety kit as possible - oh yes avoid boreens after midnight

All in all would it be safe to summarize that after you have decided on the type of car you want, be it small run-around or big 4x4, the best thing from a safety point of view is to go with the one with the highest NCAP rating within that category? Not everybody can afford a new Range Rover....

Which is safer - a 4 star SUV - e.g. Hyundai Sante Fe or a 5 star car - e.g. Opel Zafira? In a collision between these two, which would you rather be in?

I actually crashes a Sante Fe into a Vectra( At speed!!) and I am glad I wasnt in the Vectra. The Sante Fe went over the other car and looked pretty OK, the vectra was made bits of.

No one was in the vectra and it was parked, it also belonged to my wife.!!!!

Dont ask how I did it. She hated it anyway.

if you look carefully at the ncap results most of the four star SUVs get 32 points for frontal protection whereas the five star cars get 33 points - a simple analysis points to knee protection better in cars - this really points to the different seating style in a SUV (upwards - knees perpendicular to body and hence contact points in a shunt when the body moves forward) as opposed to a low down car (where the body is more reclined and tends to submarine feet first in an impact) - also more likely that cars have knee bags and no key ignition which can damage a lower leg - simple solution - set your seat well back and wear your seatbelt tightly - either that or get a SUV with knee bags - most toyota / lexus do thus now and get five stars.

Would still prefer to be sitting in a modern SUV during a frontal impact

I think that I will stay with the SUV - don't drive too fast and hence won't roll over -

that comment is contrary to most of what Newton taught me........more likely to roll over is what you really mean..........

that comment is contrary to most of what Newton taught me........more likely to roll over is what you really mean..........

don't drive too fast and hence won't roll over (going into corners) - what exactly did newton teach you??? (or given your TT moniker - are you sitting on a bike stationary)?

Back