Internet connection goes from fine to none

windo77

After using the Internet for about an hour without problems
on a PC connected directly to a modem, I become disconnected.

When we restart the PC, there is no problem connecting
to the Internet again but the connection goes belly up
again after about another hour.

Can anyone give me some pointers for what to check, please?

Thanks

What ISP are you with and what is the model no the the router?

The router may need a firmware updated.
Smart's router, the aolynk dr814 can be prone to this problem.
Some routers are just useless, try and borrow a different one.

Thanks for your comments.

The sync light stays on. So, if it's a virus, how do I check for it and get rid of it? I've already ran checks using anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-rootkit software.

The router is the 2 Wire 2700 HGV from Magnet. Is this router known to cause problems?

You haven't mentioned which operating system that you use but it might be an idea to add the DNS server settings for Magnet to the PC. If you can tell me which OS you have I will find a link that shows you how to set it up. Are you using Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista?

DNS Server Addresses

Primary DNS address 212.17.32.3 Secondary DNS address 212.17.32.1

Thanks for your reply.

Windows XP, SP 2.

Forgive my ignorance, but how will adding the DNS server settings for Magnet to the PC help?

Your modem is assigning your computer with its IP address, gateway and it's using itself as a DNS server normally but I have found on several models of moden that once your DHCP lease expires you lose your DNS on the PC. You need DNS to be able to convert and IP address to a web page name eg. If you were to have to type a number like this http://69.147.114.210 every time you wanted to go to visit a website you wouldn't use the interent a lot. The number is used by DNS to tell it that when someone types http://www.yahoo.com that this is the ip address of the website. Try putting the number into your web address bar when your computer loses its connection to the internet and if Yahoo.com opens up then you have a problem refreshing DNS on your computer. Just type or copy and paste the number above into the address bar in internet explorer or whichever browser you use and press enter. If it works let me know and I'll go through adding the DNS settings with you.

Thanks, battyb.

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow night when I have more time.

It may help to know that during the few minutes when PC is losing Internet connectivity, the network icon in the tray is displaying a message that reads something like "Checking status of IP address"

Hi,

I typed http://69.147.114.210 into the address bar of my browser when my Internet connection went down (as battyb suggested and thanks for the suggestion) but Yahoo.com did not open up.

I've also checked that the connections of the cables to their sockets and the network card to its socket but to no avail.

So, if anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi,

After checking for viruses, malware, etc., that cables and the netword card are securely connected, I still have the same problem - I can use the Internet for about an hour without problems afeter statup but then I become disconnected and I must restart the PC, to connect to the Internet again.

I also asked my ISP (Magnet) for their help and after they made several checks, they advised me to reinstall Windows XP.

So, before I do that, I just wanted to check if there is anything else I shoud be trying.

Thanks

you should check your internet conections through control panel .i.e cilck control panal internet conections ,this shows you your local& main provider. check properties on both of them on one of them there should be a setting for the amount of time you will be online ..i.e 1 hour or always on, set it to always on . if it set to always on & you still have problems then get an online scan. with ewido or some other scanner . i dont realy think norton is up with the best

Back