Interior humidity levels

Marion

What is the optimum humidity level for a home?

I purchased a Lidl gadget that shows currently shows the following figures:

66% humidity (comfort)
19.7 interior (C)
13.8 outdoor (C)

Marion

Yes. I did look at google but mine shows comfort at 66% so I am wondering if this is high enough to warrant getting a humidifier.

Marion

It is. Not sure about the spec. of the Lidl RH sensor though - you'll find some of the sensors on these types of gadgets only have +/- 10% accuracy.
Yeah - and a lot of those off the shelf temperature sensors are also only +/- 1 or 2 degrees celsius accuracy which is not that accurate!

Yes. I did look at google but mine shows comfort at 66% so I am wondering if this is high enough to warrant getting a humidifier.
Why? What problems are you encountering with suspected elevated humidity levels?

I have wooden floor throughout my ground floor space.

Maintaining correct humidity levels seems to be considered (based on my reading of sites thrown up by Google) the way to prevent problems that may arise.

Marion

If you are concerned about RH/temp. levels Marion, you would probably be better off buying a dedicated industrial spec. instrument.

Can't comment specifically on the one you have but often these 'consumer' type gadgets are little more than gimmicks.

You should be able to get a reasonable unit (+/- 3% RH; +/- 0.5C) for around €60 - €70.

Try:

www.radionics.ie

e.g. Testo 608-H1 is quite good for the price.

I consistently have a RH reading of 55% - 65% at 19 C in my home. I believe that Ireland's RH is higher than our European neighbours because our climate. Getting a dehumidifier will lower the RH. I did this but the level rose again if the dehumidifier was not used regularly. I had hired an industrial one after a leak and excessive condensation. Lowering the RH can effect sinuses and cause shringing/cracking of flooring also.

I have wooden floor throughout my ground floor space.

Maintaining correct humidity levels seems to be considered (based on my reading of sites thrown up by Google) the way to prevent problems that may arise.

Marion

The horse has bolted on that one. If you are interested in achieving a certain RH you should have established that before the floor went down. If you change the RH now you may cause gaps in your floor. If the rooms are comfortable and no sign of dampness best leave well enough alone.

Nobody ever pays too much attention to RH unless of ill heath and a dryer RH and temp alleviated the symptoms.

The RH was 62.5% (taken by the installer with his own equipment) when the floors were laid during the summer.

Marion

I know next to nothing about this, but - as far as I understand - RH is only meaningful with reference to temperature.

I know next to nothing about this, but - as far as I understand - RH is only meaningful with reference to temperature.

The actual %RH reading represents a temperature compensated figure - all RH sensors depend on a temperature reading and this has already been calculated when you see the RH figure.

All units which provide %RH readings also have a temperature (usually thermistor type) sensor.

Back