Interesting article in today's New York Times

It's a ridiculous article. Sad to see once proud US media outlets continue their decline....

The story could have been told from many genuine angles to question whether the economic recovery is actually real and the impact on ordinary peeople but instead they find some nutter who apparently shoots pigeons and grills them outside to save on gas.

It's a ridiculous article. Sad to see once proud US media outlets continue their decline....

The story could have been told from many genuine angles to question whether the economic recovery is actually real and the impact on ordinary peeople but instead they find some nutter who apparently shoots pigeons and grills them outside to save on gas.

+1, I was thinking the same thing.

There is something odd about the article, it's the cornflake reference that got me, not the pigeons. Rembember we had the Mrs. Garda Cornflakes earlier in the year, and also the guy in Kerry who said the kids were eating the cornflakes box as they were hungry. Would the article be based on anecdotes from the Irish media in the last year?

There is something odd about the article, it's the cornflake reference that got me, not the pigeons. Rembember we had the Mrs. Garda Cornflakes earlier in the year, and also the guy in Kerry who said the kids were eating the cornflakes box as they were hungry. Would the article be based on anecdotes from the Irish media in the last year?

I wouldn't mind but cornflakes are bloody expensive!

I think some of the commentary on the article is interesting: a large portion of which wondering why we are so passive in this country, compared to others.

That's baffling to me too, and there haven't been any real answers to it.

What's next week's instalment - they talk to John the woodcutter who tried to leave his kids in the woods but they found their way home using a trail of pebbles?

That was my first thoughts too! Now if they were having porridge for dinner I might be more sympathetic... :D

Is there anything wrong with porridge for dinner, I know I've had it, but it was quite a while back, and nothing to do with poverty.

How much are cornflakes? Would a box do a family of say 4 for a week? And how much is porridge, it's a great nutricious breakfast and you cannot give the kids anything better.

As predicted that story is all over the place, the pigeons, the cornflakes and the numbers on mortgages were all suspect. Surprised at a reputable newspaper running such a story. Anyone know anything about the reporter and where she is based and nationality/origins.

I think some of the commentary on the article is interesting: a large portion of which wondering why we are so passive in this country, compared to others.

That's baffling to me too, and there haven't been any real answers to it.

Flouride in the water - mass medication keeping us all in a constant passive state. Most of the rest of western Europe does not flouridate its water supply .........:eek:

I have it on good authority (a guy said it to me in a bar during the week) that the politicians are actually putting a liquid version of Prozac into the water supply. This guy knows because since the new Government came into power he claims that his success rate in shooting pigeons has improved now that he is more relaxed. The same guy said he spoke to that reporter from the New Dork Times but she said that there was no story in people being on Prozac.

Back