Health Insurance Insurance renewal

witz1234

I am due for health insurance renewal on 1st August. I am 62 and wife is 56. We are both in reasonable good health.

I have searched on-line and all plans seem to have maternity and everyday expenses included.

Are there plans which include cover for private / hi-tech hospitals but without the added cost of cover for maternity and everyday expenses?

All help gratefully received.

Hi witz

On the assumption that you live in Dublin and can avail of the Hi-tech hospitals here.

I am the same profile as you (apart from the wife). I have the Control 600 Connect and it costs me €852 a year.

It covers all the Hi-tech hospitals i.e. Blackrock, Mater Private Dublin and the Beacon.

There is a €175 excess for any day case treatment in a private hospital.

If I stay in, there is a €600 excess for semi-private and private rooms. So, in other words, if I go into Vincent's Private and they put me in a private room for a week, it will cost me €600.

In the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private, there is a €200 "shortfall" per night. . So if I spend a week in the Blackrock Clinic it will cost me €1,200 shortfall + the €600 excess or €1,800.

There is some contribution to everyday medical expenses but it's worth nothing e.g. €40 per consultant visit and €20 per GP visit, subject to an individual excess of €150. I have no idea how that works, but it would not be worth the time claiming unless I was spending thousands on consultants visits.

I don't think that there are any exclusion such as orthopedics.

There are some other benefits
  • You can get a free cardiac screening once every two years.
  • There is a 24 hour doctor line and a 24 hour nurse line.
Compare this with Laya Health Manager Gold at €8,200 a year

As far as I can see, it's the same cover as Health Manager Gold, their most expensive policy, except that Health Manager Gold has no excesses or shortfalls and pays consultants' expenses.

So I can save the €7,000 a year and pay the other bits myself out of it.

Update: I have just had a look at Health Manager Gold and it pays only 50% of GP visits and consultants' visits.

Brendan

Last edited:
Update

I see that snowyb, who is the expert on all things health insurance, has recommended the Control 600 Connect for someone looking for

Cheapest plan with full hospital list

But I also see from his post that there is No excess or shortfall to pay for hip or knee replacement surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital.

Brendan

Brendan,

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at this plan and a similar Flex 500 plus. However, these plans include a Maternity and Everyday expenses. I am assuming that there is an additional cost for these additions, which I do not want. Certainly will not need Maternity and Fertility cover.

Are there no plans without these Maternity and Everyday cover?

Witz

Last edited:
All plans have maternity to the best of my knowledge under something called Minimum Benefit legislation.

Back