VHI Insurance Renewal - Is there a better option?

Monica

We are insured with VHI, Parents & Kids plan, due for renewal on December 1st.. My husband & I are both in our 50's, 3 teenagers 19, 17 and 15 also on the plan. Total cost for renewal is 4252 euros. We seem to have poor cover for scans, Consultant fees etc. I will need hip replacement surgery in the coming year( VHI only cover 80%...). so thats a big factor!
I have looked on the HIA comparision tool.... mind boggling but VHI 3713 or Laya Simply Connect seem good and are cheaper...
If I change to Laya will I be covered for hip replacement immediately? Nervous about changing but need to cut the overall cost!
I would really appreciate any advice....

If the hip is a pre-existing condition then it may render any insurance on it null and void. I wouldn't take the chance this year and if you downsize make sure you have it in writing from VHI. On consultant fees and scans, look at it this way. how often have you had scans ? I've never had one and I'm in my 50's. I use the doctor once a year on average still.

Hi Monica,

Welcome to AAM. I don't know what part of the country you're based in, as in what hospitals you would be hoping to attend to have hip surgery but there are a few options open to you.
The 2 plans you have picked out are highly recommended and you have a couple of options to make savings;
If you change to Laya, they will still only cover you for 80% of the cost of hip surgery, a 2 year upgrade waiting would apply.

Option 1; VHI
Adults Option;
VHI Plan PMI 37 13; price 1011pa per adult; same hospital cover as before, private hospital excess 100 per admission or daycase. Limited day to day cover.

19 yr old Option;
VHI Plan PMI 11 11; price 360pa; same hospital cover as before, private hospital excess 125 per admission or day case, good day to day cover with an excess 50.

Childrens options for 15 and 17 yr olds;
VHI Plan 11 11; price 225pa per child; same hospital cover as before, private hospital excess 125 payable only on admission or day case, good day to day cover with excess of 50 per person.
[broken link removed]

Total Family Price;
2 adults X 1011 = 2022
19 yr old = 360
2 kids X 225 = 450
Total; 2832pa
Total savings; 4252 - 2832 = 1420pa

Option 2; Laya + VHI combined
Wife(yourself) + 19 yr old on VHI Plans quoted above, PMI 37 13 and PMI 11 11.
Note; VHI are most competitive on price for young adults.

Husband and 2 children
Laya Simply Connect; same hospital cover as before, excess 150 for private hospital admission, day case 50, good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, capped at 300 per person.
Adult price; 999pa or 1026 if you pay monthly.
Kids price; 239 per child 245 if you pay monthly.
[broken link removed]

Total Family Price;
Wife; 1011
19 yr; 360
Husband; 1026
2 kids; 490
Total price; 2886pa - although it seems little difference in price, Laya cover has extra day to day cover included.

Note; VHI impose a 1 year waiting time if you are over 50 yrs for day to day gp etc cover. So, there its pointless for you to take out a more expensive plan to include that extra cover when you couldn't use it for another year.
Note; Laya have no waiting time for day to day cover, regardless of a person's age, so your husband and 2 children could switch to include the extra cover with no waiting involved. Covered straight away.
Note; Vhi are most competitive on price for young adults, thats why I stayed with PMI 11 11 for the 19 yr old.

Regarding hip replacement surgery, VHI cover 80% of the cost but the two hi-tech hospitals Mater Private Dublin and Blackrock Clinic both cover this surgery in full on VHI plan 37 13. This means they are not passing the 20% shortfall onto the patient, so if you choose either hospital for surgery you are fully covered. The only cost is the 100 euro excess on admission. There is the usual consultant visit and hip x-ray beforehand, payable upfront. The overall savings made through switching plans will more than cover these costs.
Note; not all private hospitals are waiving the 20% shortfall for hip surgery, so if you have other hospitals in mind you would need to check this out beforehand as to what the outstanding costs might be. A rough estimate for hip surgery is approx 15,000, so the shortfall could potentially be
3000. Something to be fully aware of before making decisions.

Hope this helps with your decisions.
Regards, Snowyb

Hi My husband and I have one plan plus with VHI and my three children,ages 21 to 35 are on one plan starter. I am looking at different plans as my renewal date is in January and would be very grateful for any advice on changing. My premium is €3,320 for this year. Many thanks

Hi MAX01,

Alternative cheaper plan for yourself and husband is 'Plan PMI 37 13' price 1011pa; same hospital cover as before, lower private hospital excess 100.
Savings; 55 x 2 = 110pa
[broken link removed]

Alternative option for 35 yr old adult, with Laya, called 'Assure Vitality' 499pa, 10% extra discount if you buy online. Public hospital cover only.
Savings; 90 euro approx if you pay in full, or 76 euro if you pay monthly.
[broken link removed]

No cheaper options available for the other two, One Plan Starter, best price at the moment.
The above options are based on current prices, there is no guarantee that they will remain the same into Jan 2016. Any price changes will be
published on the HIA website in early December 2015, under the 'Latest News' heading.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowb, I am so grateful for your detailed advice... I have changed our plan to VHI 3713 / 1111 as suggested. Thank you.

Back