Insurance policy for driving with job.

collieb

Hi,

I have a car which my o/h is insured on as a named driver. She's just got a job that involves driving as part of it so I talked to the insurance co to see what the story is. Basically they tell me that she is not insured to drive the car as part of her job, because its a private policy and even if I converted it to a business policy she still would not be insured because she's a named driver.

So they advise that she will have to get her own business policy on the car and I will have to go on that as a named driver since I cant have 2 policies on same car at same time (which means I have to suspend my policy which could have effects on my no claims bonus etc). But for her to have her own policy, she must be the registered owner of the car - so I will have to transfer ownership to her name!

This just to be an awful kerfuffle just so my g/f can drive about 100 miles per month as part of her job. Has anyone any experience of a situation like this - are the insurance company taking the proverbials??

... are the insurance company taking the proverbials??
No, they are not, but have you considered that you take out the business class insurance on your car, in your name and by extension this may cover your OH?

Yes, I asked this but they said a named driver would not be covered for work related driving. Not sure why though.

Yeah, we went through this as well (married couple though). If your g/f needs to drive as part of her job, then she needs to get her own car really. If the job doesn't pay enough for her to have a car, then I don't see a way out of it really.

Back