Insurance of Hybrid

roker

I have just received my insurance renewal and noted that my Hybrid is classed as Electric. I had a long discussion on the phone to tell them this was the wrong classification, I am conscious that elect may increase my insurance cost and after they went through all their categaries they still insisted it was an Electric .
I explained as it has a engine and nothing to plug in it is a Petrol , they are going to get back to me .
Has anyone else experience this ?

What make / model is it? Perhaps you selected or they entered the wrong specification? Prompted by the other long running thread I ran a few quotes for ICE & electric cars or similar specs/ price, and the electric came out cheaper.

I have just received my insurance renewal and noted that my Hybrid is classed as Electric. I had a long discussion on the phone to tell them this was the wrong classification, I am conscious that elect may increase my insurance cost and after they went through all their categaries they still insisted it was an Electric .
I explained as it has a engine and nothing to plug in it is a Petrol , they are going to get back to me .
why do you think it will increase your insurance?

but i agree the classification is wrong.

Because the battery cost in a EV can write the car of even if it has a small amount of damage to the battery

If the insurance quote has the correct make and model of car, then the quote is based on their premiums for that car. Whats the issue ?

someone should tell the insurers, anyone i know has seen their insurance decrease with an ev.
And I'm one of them, my insurance dropped by about 10% 4 years ago when I moved to hybrid and I was told by the broker at the time that insurance companies consider hybrid drivers to be safer.

If the insurance quote has the correct make and model of car, then the quote is based on their premiums for that car. Whats the issue ?
We know that insurance company will find a loophole not to pay out, what better than to have the wrong details

We know that insurance company will find a loophole not to pay out, what better than to have the wrong details
Assuming the information you provided them is correct, and that you have record of alerting them to the

You still haven;t said what make / model? I was curious as for example if it's a Nissan ePower model or similar, then it would be correct to classify the drive as electric as the petrol engine is only there to charge the battery.

Assuming the information you provided them is correct, and that you have record of alerting them to the

You still haven;t said what make / model? I was curious as for example if it's a Nissan ePower model or similar, then it would be correct to classify the drive as electric as the petrol engine is only there to charge the battery.
The primary fuel for a hybrid is petrol , a EV primary fuel is electric, a much heavier car with its banks of batteries and much more expensive. For your info I have a Corolla hybrid

Electricity isn't fuel.

Corolla hybrid
Current Corollas are electric motor driven only, the petrol engine does not drive the wheels, but only produces electricity to power the electric motors and/or charge the battery.

Toyota hybrids always use the electric motors to drive the vehicle, whilst the petrol engine supplies power to electric motors when needed and supports a generator to charge the hybrid battery too.

Electricity isn't fuel.

Current Corollas are electric motor driven only, the petrol engine does not drive the wheels, but only produces electricity to power the electric motors and/or charge the battery.
That is correct but the batterie on a EV are much larger and costly which is why they write the EV off instead of repair, which not be the case with a hybrid because the batteries are relatively small

That is correct but the batterie on a EV are much larger and costly which is why they write the EV off instead of repair, which not be the case with a hybrid because the batteries are relatively small
Where are you getting this information from?

I have a Rav 4 Hybrid (2.5 Litre Petrol engine and a c.1.5 KWH Battery). This is sometimes called a soft or mild hybrid. It could probably do 5KM on the battery alone but it rarely tries to.

A Plug in Hybrid might have a 10KW to 15KWH battery good for 30km or 50Km.

A fully electric car (lets call it an EV) would have a 40KWH to 80KWH battery good for 300Km - 500KM+ depending on all the usual factors.

So there is a huge difference out there. In a lot of Hybrids. Mild/soft/PHEV the electric motor drives the wheels but the power comes from either the Petrol/Diesel engine or the battery depending on the software. It gives a smoother driving experience and the petrol consumption is lower.

It does seem very strange as the original poster has stated that the insurance company considered their car to be an EV. I certainly wouldn't call mine an EV or for it to be subject to any of the potential EV insurance loadings if/when they materialise in Ireland!

Joe

I have a Rav 4 Hybrid (2.5 Litre Petrol engine and a c.1.5 KWH Battery). This is sometimes called a soft or mild hybrid. It could probably do 5KM on the battery alone but it rarely tries to.

A Plug in Hybrid might have a 10KW to 15KWH battery good for 30km or 50Km.

A fully electric car (lets call it an EV) would have a 40KWH to 80KWH battery good for 300Km - 500KM+ depending on all the usual factors.

So there is a huge difference out there. In a lot of Hybrids. Mild/soft/PHEV the electric motor drives the wheels but the power comes from either the Petrol/Diesel engine or the battery depending on the software. It gives a smoother driving experience and the petrol consumption is lower.

It does seem very strange as the original poster has stated that the insurance company considered their car to be an EV. I certainly wouldn't call mine an EV or for it to be subject to any of the potential EV insurance loadings if/when they materialise in Ireland!

Joe
Your car is propelled by the ice engine most of the time tho, whereas it appears his is propelled by the electric motor most of the time and therein lies the difference

I think the OP has just got some badly trained numpty in the Insurance company. I've had Toyota hybrids for a number of years and they were never insured as electric

But that still doesn't mean it isn't electric driven.

I think the OP has just got some badly trained numpty in the Insurance company. I've had Toyota hybrids for a number of years and they were never insured as electric
Perhaps the insurers have adjusted their criteria and are only now correctly noting those models as electric driven?

Back